What is your placement organisation doing?
- Maths: Mathematics is taught based on real-life tasks.
- Literacy: Speaking, reading and writing English and isiXhosa
- Life Skills: HIV & AIDS education, health and hygiene, strategic thinking and decision-making
- Group therapy: Includes problem-solving skills, dealing with grief, anger and anxiety
- Recreational activities: This depends on which activities volunteers bring in, such as football, netball, volleyball, art, theater, singing, gardening.
How can you get involved?
- to assist the Child Care workers with duties in the classroom. These vary from assisting to inventing new activities.
- to support the children. This means helping daily with all kinds of homework like English, Math, life skills, isiXhosa and Afrikaans. The volunteer will also assist with remedial classes, helping prepare and serve the food for the children.
- to share their own culture, talents and interests. This can vary from a cooking lesson to a musical session. It can be in the form of a lesson with groups of children between the ages of 6 and 14 years.
- to implement a program that can incorporate your skills. At iKhaya there is room to customize your experience during your time here. It is expected that you contribute your ideas.
2:30 – 4:00pm Assisting children with homework
4:00 – 4:10pm Serving healthy meals to the children
4:10 – 5:00pm Tutoring and homework support in key subjects
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Availability: throughout the year, flexible starting date
Minimum duration: 2 weeks
Maximum duration: 6 months
Language skills required: English
Accommodation: Hostel in Hout Bay
Internship possible: Yes
Qualification of supervisor: Social Worker
Minimum qualification intern: -
Further contribution to the project: are included in the program fees
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected qualification volunteers: none
Further contribution to the projekt: Already included in the program fees
Professional work, the "right" attitude
Accommodation in Cape Town
Guest House in Cape Town city centre
House in Table View
Surfer Hostel in Muizenberg
The Surfer Hostel is located directly on the beach of Muizenberg, which is well known for its colourful beach houses. You can choose between a dorm bed (separated by sex) and single room, or, if two book together, there is also the double room option.
- Dorm Room accommodation at a hostel in Hout Bay
- Project contribution (1500 ZAR)
- The World Unite! Service Package (see below)
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cape Town airport (CPT) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Cape Town
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Local SIM Card with 100 ZAR air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Cape Town (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
Overview of other costs:
- Small local expenses in Cape Town (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate). The daily commuting costs between the accommodation and the centre by taxi are around 1.50 USD one-way
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
- If your flights are scheduled outside the time slot from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., there will be an additional cost of 25 EUR per night transfer
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Travel Health Insurance
Table Mountain dominates the city, on whose shallow top impressive clouds often form and then slide down into the unique flora and fauna of its slopes, vineyards and beaches. They are part of the Table Mountain National Park, which provides opportunities for numerous excursions and nature activities nearby the city.
The city centre, also called "City Bowl", bordered by mountains and the beach, is modern and has offices, shops, restaurants, bars, museums, galleries, tourist attractions and the harbor. There are also many colonial buildings, such as in Long Street, which is a landmark with many antique shops, hotels, restaurants and bars.
The suburbs north of the city center are mainly residential areas of middle to upper middle standards. West of it, there is the Atlantic Seaboard coastline, known for its white sand beaches, coastal roads and trendy bars and restaurants that also attract many holidaymakers. Its ocean waters however are rather cold for swimming.
The majority of the 3.7 million inhabitants of Cape Town live in townships, which are located mainly in the eastern outskirts, north along False Bay. They were founded during the time of racial segregation to accommodate the non-white population. Even today, many families live there in poverty under bad living conditions.