What is your placement organisation doing?
Unfortunately, release into the wild is not possible in all cases, as some animals have changed too much in captivity are not able to survive in the wild on their own. For such animals, the project pervides a new permanent home at its spacious grounds. The design and enrichment of the living environment is an important topic to support these animals in which the biologists are also experts and will impart this knowledge to you.
Other areas of learning for you are dealing with clinical cases, newborns and animal nutrition.
How can you get involved?
- Animal care
- Preparation of food and feeding
- Observation of behaviors and assisting with wildlife rehabilitation
- Maintenance of plants
- Repair and reconstruction of the enclosure
Location: Arajuno, Ecuador
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 weeks
Maximum Duration: 3 Months
Language Requirements: Intermediate level of English or Spanish or French
Beds in Volunteer Houses (shared rooms) at Project Site on full board
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Biologist
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: -
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in the Amazon Rainforest
The Rates for Volunteering include:
- Accommodation in a shared room starting on Monday (minimum 13 nights; 7 nights per extra week)
- Meals from Monday to Saturday morning (during the rest of the weekend self-catering at the kitchen of the accommodation is possible)
- Pickup upon arrival in Quito or Guayaquil on Sunday; one night accommodation (Sunday to Monday) without board in Quito (shared room) or Guayaquil (single room with shared bathroom)
- Transfer to the bus to your volunteer project the following day in Quito or Guayaquil
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Donation to your project
- Emergency telephone contact
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates DON'T include:
- Travel to and from Ecuador (you book it on your own)
- Bus ticket from Quito or Guaqaquil to your project location
- Migration Card (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Arrival outside of regular office hours and public holidays + 25 USD
Overview of other costs:
- Migration Card 10 USD
- If meals are not included: around 100-200 EUR (120 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Small local expenses (Internet, Local transport): around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Insurance 20-40 EUR(30-50 USD)/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Learning Spanish in Ecuador!
Individual Lessons and Accommodation in a Student House: