Arco Iris Hospital in La Paz/Bolivia
Electives, internships and volunteer placements
However, please note that Spanish is not necessarily the native language of every Bolivian. Bolivia as a plurinationality is inhabited by people of various origins. Historically, socially and politically, particularly the non-Spanish-speaking groups have been pushed to the margins of society. The consequences of exclusion, discrimination, and social inequality continue to be reflected, albeit less, to this day. The Arco Iris Hospital as a focal point for the care of disadvantaged people is therefore also visited by patients who speak only little Spanish. However, from foreign interns/volunteers it is not expected to have language skills of these population groups, including Quechua, Aymara or Guaraní, but one should be prepared to encounter such diversity.
A typical day at your facility
Which are your main tasks?
- You accompany and obsere the staff on your ward in their daily work
- Under supervision, you take on minor treatments and assistance activities (depending on previous knowledge).
- You attend medical visits or meetings in your department.
You should bring your own work clothes (white, green or blue scubs and closed shoes of any color). It is also advisable to bring your own hand sanitizer and your own stethoscope. If you work in the operating theater, please bring green or blue surgical clothing, surgical mask and surgical cap.
Location: La Paz, Bolivia
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 4 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 6 Months
Language Requirements: Average Spanish
Shared Accommodation, Room with Host Family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: General Physician, Specialist, Nurse, Therapist
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies or experience
Further Contribution To Project: 150 USD per week
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Specialist in Medicine/Nursing/ Therapy
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation in La Paz
Shared Accommodation in La Paz
Host Families in La Paz
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to La Paz/El Alto (LPB) on arrival and departure
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in Cochabamba or ViruViru
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in La Paz
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Some Rates in EUR/US-Dollar.|
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House or Hostel|
House shared with other participants
|2 Persons p.p.
Host Family of Middle Standard
on Full Board
|15 USD/Day||300 USD/Month|
|2 Persons p.p.
|15 USD/Day||250 USD/Month|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- For most citizens except US Citizens, no Visa fee for a stay of a maximum of 90 days per calendar year. Any time you stay in excess of 90 days within a calendar year, 20 Bs. fee per day. US Citizens pay currentyl 135 USD Visa fee.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month