Hospitality and innovative farming techniques
We arrange organic farming volunteer work on various farms in Israel. Not only will you have a great time together with the local staff on the farms and other foreign volunteers and you will have a chance to get to know rural life and the hospitality of the Israeli and Arab farmers, but you can also learn about plant breeding and animal husbandry in climatic conditions which can be extreme, making use of innovative techniques such as drip irrigation and permaculture.
As a volunteer, you typicall get free food, either prepared on the farm and/or the form of ingredients to cook on your own. Accommodation rental costs will incur, which vary from location to location. The volunteer work can be joined for a period of 1-12 weeks.
Below are some examples of farms in Israel.
You can volunteer at an organic farm in Tamra/Israel, cultivating vegetables, olives and pomegranates, and making use of innovative sustainable techniques such as aquaponics, composting and permaculture.
Organic vegetable farm in the Ayalon Valley
The organic farm in the Ayalon Valley between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem grows more than 100 types of organic vegetables, lettuce, herbs, peas, beans, beets and corn all year round on 25 acres of open fields and in greenhouses, without the use of pesticides and artificial fertilizers. The farm is operated on the concept of "Community Supported Agriculture" with customers signing up for membership and receiving weekly delivery of farm produce. A weekly newsletter informs customers about the work on the farm and there are also regular open days.
Volunteer work on the farm is possible, with the farm taking over the entire catering for the volunteers. There is however no accommodation on the farm. We can assist with booking a room in Tel Aviv that incurs rental costs.
Olives, figs, lemons, pomegranates - Organic farm in Tamra
This organic farm in the town of Tamra in the north of Israel uses innovative ways for sustainable agriculture and thus, offer a way to renounce environmentally harmful techniques and the use of pesticides; they also find a way to recycle waste. This includes techniques such as permaculture, aquaponics and hydroponics. Olives, lemons, figs, spices, pomegranates and more are grown on the farm and various types of free-range chicken are kept.
Organic waste is efficiently processed on the farm through the breeding of larvae of the black soldier fly. Organic wastes serve as food for the larvae of the black soldier fly. They plow through the organic waste and the decomposed waste is used as a particularly nutritious feed for the chickens and fish of the eco-farm. This saves money for the purchase of feed on the one hand, and at the same time, is a solution for the disposal of organic waste. Organic waste is also dried in the sun and used as chicken feed. The eco-farm has a partnership with a local supermarket. The supermarket supplies organic waste to the farm and in turn gets sustainable products at a reduced price. This co-operation and the awareness raised about the healthy foods that are grown under environmentally friendly conditions, benefit the consumer.
Possible activities for volunteers and interns include:
- Creating flower beds, planting, sowing (seasonal)
- Harvesting (seasonal)
- Assisting in the processing of the collected organic waste for reuse; sort by type of organic waste and compost
- Preservation of fruits and vegetables
- Care and Maintenance of Ecological Farm
- Construction of greenhouses and technical installations such as aquaponics systems
- Care of the animals
This is how it works:
1. You send us your resume in English in tabular form and you let us know your preferred period. This is without any obligation or cost to you.
2. We will then within a few days suggest a farm in Israel to you and will let you know the exact accommodation costs and conditions of the farm
3. You decide whether you want to book the placement. Only if you wish to procees, do the costs for our service package apply (see details in the "Rate" slider below). The one-time costs are EUR 390 / USD 460 once any duration of stay of 1-12 weeks.
4. We will send you an invoice and a credit card payment link
5. As soon as we have received your payment, your participation is confirmed. We will prepare you; you will arrive in Israel and start your farm work!
Location: Various locations in Israel
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 week
Maximum Duration: 12 weeks
Language Requirements: English
Rental Room, budget around 500 Shekel/Week
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Farming professionals
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
no previous experience required
Further Contribution To Project: no
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Motivation, Do you have the "right" attitude?
One-time fee 390 EUR / 460 USD independent from the duration (1-12 weeks)
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from the train or bus station closest to your placement location (please see information how to get there in the slider "Getting There")
- 24 Hours emergency support by our English-speaking support team in Israel
- Meals are provided by your farm (unless communicated to you differently before you make a booking)
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Israel and the train/bus station nearest to your placement location (you book it on your own; we assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Accommodation costs - appriximate amount for a rental room: 500 Shekel/Week
- Personal Expenses
You fly to Israel's only international airport, Ben Guiron Airport in Tel Aviv (TLV). From there you can either proceed to the farm by bus or train. You will be picked up by the farmer from the nearest bus or train station. We will inform you of the arrival details.