What is your placement organisation doing?
The "Union de l’action féminine“ advocates the abolition of any form of discrimination against women, be it politically, legally, economically, socially or culturally. The union fights against domestic and gender-specific violence and supports women to advance into decision-making positions at any level of society and to be able to make full use of their civil rights.
The organisation carries out campaigns to sensitise and motivate women against discrimination. They give literacy courses, and educate the women in health, women's rights, civil rights, and environmental care. UAF legally, psychologically, medically and socially supports victims of violence, and help women to complete vocational training and to start into self-employment.
How can you get involved?
Our volunteers usually assist at the union's centre in Tanger. They can teach school children in foreign languages (Spanish and French for primary school kids, English for adolescents) and they can teach the women reading and writing. The centre also has a small library with children's books, a room with sewing machines and a computer room. At the moment, the centre is looking for volunteers to teach tailoring and computers.
Location: Tangier, Morocco
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 week
Maximum Duration: 6 months
Language Requirements: Medium French
Further Languages Of Advantage: English, Arabic, Spanish
Accommodation: Shared Accommodation in Tangier
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Social Worker, Educator
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Knowledge that is useful for UAF
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Tangier
Shared Accommodation in Tangier:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 90 Days||91-180 Days|
|500 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|450 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- In case of duration of stay of more than 90 days, costs for extension of entrance stamp/visa
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Tangier (TNG) Airport, Sea Port (Tanger Ville), bus or train station, on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Tangier
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Local SIM Card with 20 Dh. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Tangier (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All Rates in EUR. Convert Currency||Short-time stay |
Room in shared apartment
|15.50 EUR/Night||13 EUR/Night|
|2 Persons p.p.
|14 EUR/Night||12 EUR/Night|
Overview of other costs:
- Visa no cost for most nationalities; in case of duration of stay of more than 90 days extension is included
- Self-catering around 150-200 EUR (180-240 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Small local expenses (Local transport): around 20-50 EUR (30-60 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Insurance around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month