What is your placement organisation doing?
Centers in Jodhpur
Teaching in Setrawa
Location: Jodhpur or Setrawa, Rajasthan
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Month
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Hindi
In Jodhpur: Guest House; in Setrawa: Village House
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Social Worker, Teacher, Psychologist
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: None (there is a charge for supervised psychology internships - see "Psychology">"Psychology Internship in Jodhpur")
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Review by Vanessa
Review by Carolin
Review by Jenni
The two months I stayed in Jodhpur with Sambhali Trust were a very special time and experience for me. I´ve never volunteered before and only knew what other volunteers had told me about their experience. Now that I have come to India and worked with the girls and women at Sambhali Trust, I completely understand how wonderful you can feel when you try and make (at least) a little difference.
As well as the “gameday” every Friday where the girls had the chance to colour, play games and just spend the time with us, we gave the girls a lice-treatment once a week. Since lice are a big problem in the orphanage we picked the girls one after the other and washed and combed their hair.
Every Wednesday we had a workshop with all classes together where the girls had the opportunity to learn something about the world (like the climate o-zone, the water circle,...) or to be creative, For example, we made a personal dairy with the girls to improve their self-esteem. Every girl designed their own book and could write their very own feelings, dreams and goals of life in this dairy.
For everybody else considering volunteering, I recommend working with Sambhali Trust since I really enjoyed my stay in Jodhpur and my work with the girls and women. Also I made many wonderful friends by meeting all the volunteers, the Sambhali-staff and everybody involved to the wonderful guesthouse “Durag Niwas”.
Accommodation in Jodhpur and Setrawa
Guest House in Jodhpur:
Acccommodation in Setrawa:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and assistance with local registration (if required) but not the official government fees for the visa (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Jodhpur Airport (JDH) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Jodhpur
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day. This is done by long-term volunteers, the so called "volunteer coordinators" who will also introduce you to your project work
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Local SIM Card with 600 Rs. airtime credit
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Donation of 50 USD (in domestic currency) to your placement organization (in case of charitable organizations)
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Jodhpur (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
|Rates in Indian Rupees! Convert Currency||Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
Guest House on Full Board
|2 Persons p.p.*
|Bed at a 4-share dorm room||15,000 Rs/Month|
House of Simple Standard
on Full Board
(Sharing double room)
|2 Persons p.p.
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- Visa around 130 EUR (160 USD); to apply for prior to your travel
- Insurances around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month