Football (soccer) coach in Zanzibar
Track and field athlectics coach in Zanzibar
Location: Zanzibar Town, Zanzibar
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
House, Host Family, Hotel
Internship Possible: No
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Good knowledge in the concerned sport
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
The first team consisted of 15-18 years old kids. We learned a lot of exercises and combinations, trying to pick up how to think on football pitch, as physically they are all very gifted. I brought with me many souvenirs from the famous English clubs which the kids adore, and awarded one prize for the best player of the day. It was a real solemn ceremony when all the players and people from the nearby areas gathered in the centre of the football field to find out who was a hero today. I am also very grateful that the members of ZAFSA organization escorted me back home after every single training. After two weeks all the players passed through various tests, and I provided the results of it with my recommendations to the head of ZAFSA.
I had just six trainings in Uzi with a local team. Despite the age of the players varied from 18 to 35, it was a real pleasure to coach them as they tried to absorb every feint or advice. The team participated in some Zanzibar championship, and after the games we were analyzing their mistakes on the improvised pitch-hardware on the ground with baobab seeds instead of players.
The culmination of our trainings was an inter-island tournament (named Zanzibarian Urafiki Cup) organized with the kind help of World Unite! and ZAFSA members. We expected about 80 young players coming from Stone Town and Uzi island to the stadium to play for the big Cup. I ordered the cup from the US, but, ironically, it was not delivered in time leaving me in the awkward situation. Finally, after hectic searches and with priceless help of Mr. Aliy and Mr.Freddy of World Unite!, I managed to find a large decent cup in one of the Zanzibar shops. I felt like I have bought the last cup left in this world.
The tournament seemed to be a success. There were prizes for the two best players and some free coconut juice for the the rest. In the end, I used Coca-Cola crates to construct a podium, and the captain of the winning team lifted up the cup to the battle-cries accompaniment of the players.
The tournament was planned as an annual challenge cup, and I hope the Second Urafiki Cup will be held again in March 2012. Once again I enjoyed my every minute in Zanzibar. I want to thank so much everybody in Zanzibar who were so friendly, helpful and absolutely brilliant.
I will be glad to come back one day, but cannot guarantee I will have enough spare time. But what I can guarantee is that I will allocate some advertisements in the UK for volunteers to go to Zanzibar as football coaches. I will answer all their questions and meet them with pleasure in London for further instructions.
At 3.30 p.m., I arrived at the stadium and got to know the athletes and Paralympics. I was amazed and happy that people with disability are promoted in an African country and were so sporty! Well, I got my schedule and looked at the athletes I was going to train. Then I had to give a little speech. Man, I was taken by surprise! Without much time to think, I introduced myself and told the first things that came to my mind. So sweet – they all applauded! After I had discussed the schedule with the coaches, a younger trainer named Abdallah drive me to my flat at Mombasa. Of course, he wanted to drop me off right in front of my front door, so he knew where I lived, but I saw through his game. I got off 400 meters from my place. As he waited, I stood at a stand in the line to buy something. Luckily, it took forever and as he did not want to wait, he left.
Accommodation in Zanzibar Town
Most popular! - This is the preference of most of our participants. You share an apartment with other participants (where you can choose between 4-share dorm room, twin/double room, and single room) or live in a house of middle standards with a host family.
Comfort+ - For those with a need for comfort: Accommodation at a hotel or at a house of higher standards with host family.
Adventurer - For simplest and cheapest deals: Homestays of simple standards.
Hotel Accommodation and Accommodation of High Standards with Host Family:
Host Family of simple standards
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project (except for electives/internships at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital)
- CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights: Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Our own World Unite! full-time program instructors
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Once per week half-day cultural activity in Muungoni Village
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Use of a Mountain Bike
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar. |
|All durations of stay |
|Shared House/Apartment or Hotel|
|2 Persons p.p.
|4-share dorm room p.p.||4.50 USD/Night|
Host Family on full board
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 150-250 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days. Only for placements at public hospitals of up to 90 days: Visa 50 USD (for EU Citizens, Australians, New Zealand Citizens; 100 USD for US and Canadian Citizens) + Exemption Certificate 100 USD (no further permits needed)
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Check out our video on Zanzibar Town!
Zanzibar - Spice Island in the Indian Ocean
Things to do in Zanzibar
Getting To Zanzibar
Several airlines fly directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.