What is your placement organisation doing?
The Wildlife Reserve operates the world's first all-female anti-poaching unit, patrolling the reserve in search of snares and signs of poaching, as well as monitoring livestock and maintaining the reserve.
Research is an important aspect of the work of the Wildlife Reserve, for which there are cooperations with international animal conservation societies and universities. The focus is on the behavioral analysis, population dynamics and migration patterns of herds of elephants, rhinos, and predators as well as the research about the impact of railway tracks and power lines on the habitat use of wild animals.
How can you get involved?
In addition, you support the research activities of international researchers and students, collecting animal data, such as the one recorded from hidden water-hole cameras and you will do data input and analysis. You will also determine plant species and record their density.
What are your main tasks?
- Clearing roads, repairing signs, etc.
- Removing invasive plant species
- Removing traps from poachers
- Monitoring of animal and plant populations
- Joining research activities and collecting data
Location: Game Reserve at Greater Kruger National Park, South Africa; approx. 16 km from Hoidspruit Town
Start dates: Every Monday or Thursdays in Hoidspruit throughout the year (see arrival information below)
Minimum duration: 2 weeks
Maximum duration: 3 months
Minimum age: 18 years
Language skills required: English
Accommodation: Chalets at Bush Camp on full board
Internship possible: Yes
Qualification of supervisor: Primatology, Environmental Science, Diploma in Nature Conservation, qualified nature guides
Minimum qualification intern: -
Further contribution to the project: -
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected qualification volunteers: None, you will learn everything on-site
Further contribution to the projekt: No
We expect: Appropriate physical fitness, ok with "dirty" work in nature, professional work, the "right" attitude
Chalets at the Bush Camp
The chalets are built of stone and have a thatched roof. You will share a chalet with one further participant (double occupancy). There are solar lights, but no sockets. Electrical appliances can be charged using the solar charger in the communal area or in the office at the entrance of the reserve.
The sanitary facilities are outdoors, allowing a view over the scrubland, but they are equipped with privacy reed screens. The toilets and showers use the (cold) water from a well. Please respect that water is scarce and use it wisely.
WiFi internet access is available but may be limited. There is network coverage for mobile phones. You will do your laundry by hand in your chalet. Alternatively, you can use a laundrette at Hoedspuit Town, but it will take you one week to get your clothes back.
Please note that the camp does not have any amenities like a bar, pool or air conditioning. Instead, you can enjoy a genuine bush experience. This also includes unforeseen and unexpected surprises that you need to be able to adapt to - such as elephants damaging the water supply. However, the staff is always ready to ensure your health and safety and will educate you about life and safety in the bush.
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Hoedspruit (please see information how to get there in the slider "Getting There") on arrival and departure
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Accommodation at simple chalet on full board (twin sharing)
- Local SIM Card with 100 ZAR air time
- 2 project T Shirts
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Hoedspruit (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses