Elective placements and final year clinical rotations
- School of Dentistry (with 3 academic departments)
- School of Medicine (with 18 academic departments, including Histopathology & Morbid Anatomy department)
- School of Nursing (with 3 academic departments)
- School of Pharmacy (with 4 academic departments)
- School of Public Health and Social Sciences (with 5 academic departments)
- Institute of Allied Health Sciences (with 6 diploma & advanced diploma schools)
- Institute of Traditional Medicine (with 3 academic departments)
The department has a total of 5 teaching staff. For working purposes the Psychiatry and Mental Health Department is divided into 4 firms. Each firm deals with all psychiatric conditions with patients suffering from depression, mania, schizophrenia, etc. Each firm is headed by a psychiatrist, psychologist and social worker. Acute patients are hospitalized in a separate secure ward; and there is a general female and male ward. In total, the department has 40 to 45 beds with bed occupancy rate of 80-100%.
Read a Report by Anne (PDF, 2 MB), who has done a psychiatry internship.
Location: Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
Student Halls of Residence, Host Family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification of Supervisor/in: Specialist Doctors, General Practitioners , Nurses , Therapists
Minimum Qualification of Intern:
Enrolled at university or job training
Further Contribution To Project: Yes, 90 USD per week as contribution to the hospital; plus one-time 100 usd hospital registration fee
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification of Volunteer: Professional Specialist - Medical, Nursing, Therapy
Further Contribution To Project: None
Do you have the "right" attitude?
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation in Dar-es-Salaam
High Standard Rooms with Host Family:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) International Airport on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Dar-es-Salaam
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- To compensate for the CO2 emissions of your long haul flight: Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Dar-es-Salaam (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar or Tanzania Shilling! |
|Any duration of stay|
|Hall of Residence or Hotel|
Students' Hall of Residence incl. Breakfast
|2 Persons p.p.
Hotel incl. Breakfast
(min. 7 Days)
|2 Persons p.p.
(min. 7 Days)
Host family of high standard, without meals
|2 Personen p.p.
||per person||2 USD/Night|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 130-220 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Visa and Permits (mainland Tanzania): In case of stay of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD for most nationals; In case of stay of 91-180 days: Visa (incl. extension) 550 USD; 181-365 days: Visa 50 USD (for most nationals, except US and Canadian Citizens who pay 100 USD) + Residence Permit 200 USD + Work Permit 500 USD.
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Travel Health Insurance
Picture Gallery Dar-es-Salaam
Recreational Activities in Dar
Getting To Dar-es-Salaam
Many airlines fly, usually with a stopover, to Dar-es-Salaam (DAR). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. At Dar-es-Salaam airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation.