What is your placement organization doing?
The NGO offers foreign language courses, as foreign language skills significantly increase the job prospects in Zanzibar, for example in tourism. The NGO also runs several small businesses such as a farm with chickens and home-grown vegetables and fruits, two bicycle repair shops and a catering service, run by the students themselves, through which they gain practical professional experience, for instance in leadership, finance and management. In the respective "clubs" of the small businesses, new students are taught relevant vocational skills in the respective business area. These clubs are funded by the revenues of the small businesses.
How can you get involved?
Courses for other foreign languages such as German, French and Spanish only take place if there are volunteer teachers. If you are interested in teaching one of these languages, you should volunteer for at least 3 months and be able to independently work out and teach lessons on the basics of each language.
Classes for language and math classes are usually from 4pm to 9pm.
- Chicken Farm and Organic Farming Club: You will teach about the keeping and breeding of chickens and ducks (e.g. proper feeding, care etc.) as well as plant cultivation. The NGO runs its own small farm and sells the products in a shop. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Bicycle Repair Club: You teach how to repair bicycles. The NGO operates two shops for second-hand bicycles. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- You can also teach how to repair or restore used electrical appliances or furniture. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Healthy Nutrition Club and F&B Training: Some students have been trainees in restaurants and hotels, and the goal is for more students to find such professional training and ultimately a job as a chef. You can support their endeavour by imparting skills about healthy eating and cooking. Students also occasionally offer tourists a cooking class with dinner. Read a report by Katharina and Martina, who developed a nutritional manual and implemented it with students. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Sewing, craftsmanship, art club: You teach sewing skills as well as arts and crafts techniques. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Business Skills: You can give workshops on topics contributing to the success of small businesses, such as finance, accounting, marketing & sales, administration, product design, etc.
- Girl's Club: You can provide workshops on hygiene, body awareness, sex education, dental hygiene and the like (at least 1 day)
Your Impact: This contribution you make for your placement organisation!
A typical week at your placement:
Typically, your volunteer work is from Monday to Friday, while the weekends are off. However, as there is always a lot to do at Learning for Life (which also has collaborations with other NGOs in Zanzibar), you can also contribute longer than the normal working hours if you wish. Tasks are discussed with you on site depending on your interests.
Location: Fuoni (Zanzibar Town), Zanzibar
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
House, Host Family, Hotel
Supervision Possible: No
Qualification Of Supervisor: -
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: -
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: See Text
Further Contribution To Project: no
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Zanzibar Town
Most popular! - This is the preference of most of our participants. You share an apartment with other participants (where you can choose between 4-share dorm room, twin/double room, and single room) or live in a house of middle standards with a host family.
Comfort+ - For those with a need for comfort: Accommodation at a hotel or at a house of higher standards with host family.
Adventurer - For simplest and cheapest deals: Homestays of simple standards.
Hotel Accommodation and Accommodation of High Standards with Host Family:
Host Family of simple standards
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project (except for electives/internships at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital)
- CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights: Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Our own World Unite! full-time program instructors
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Once per week half-day cultural activity in Muungoni Village
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Use of a Mountain Bike
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar. |
|All durations of stay |
|Shared House/Apartment or Hotel|
|2 Persons p.p.
|4-share dorm room p.p.||4.50 USD/Night|
Host Family on full board
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 150-250 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days. Only for placements at public hospitals of up to 90 days: Visa 50 USD (for EU Citizens, Australians, New Zealand Citizens; 100 USD for US and Canadian Citizens) + Exemption Certificate 100 USD (no further permits needed)
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Check out our video on Zanzibar Town!
Zanzibar - Spice Island in the Indian Ocean
Things to do in Zanzibar
Getting To Zanzibar
Several airlines fly directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.