The NGO offers foreign language courses, as foreign language skills significantly increase the job prospects in Zanzibar, for example in tourism. The NGO also runs several small businesses such as a farm with chickens and home-grown vegetables and fruits, two bicycle repair shops and a catering service, run by the students themselves, through which they gain practical professional experience, for instance in leadership, finance and management. In the respective "clubs" of the small businesses, new students are taught relevant vocational skills in the respective business area. These clubs are funded by the revenues of the small businesses.
Language and Mathematics teacher
Courses for other foreign languages such as German, French and Spanish only take place if there are volunteer teachers. If you are interested in teaching one of these languages, you should volunteer for at least 3 months and be able to independently work out and teach lessons on the basics of each language.
Classes for language and math classes are usually from 4pm to 9pm.
Clubs & Workshops
- Chicken Farm and Organic Farming Club: You will teach about the keeping and breeding of chickens and ducks (e.g. proper feeding, care etc.) as well as plant cultivation. The NGO runs its own small farm and sells the products in a shop. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Bicycle Repair Club: You teach how to repair bicycles. The NGO operates two shops for second-hand bicycles. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- You can also teach how to repair or restore used electrical appliances or furniture. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Healthy Nutrition Club and F&B Training: Some students have been trainees in restaurants and hotels, and the goal is for more students to find such professional training and ultimately a job as a chef. You can support their endeavour by imparting skills about healthy eating and cooking. Students also occasionally offer tourists a cooking class with dinner. Read a report by Katharina and Martina, who developed a nutritional manual and implemented it with students. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Sewing, craftsmanship, art club: You teach sewing skills as well as arts and crafts techniques. (Workshop duration at least 2 weeks)
- Business Skills: You can give workshops on topics contributing to the success of small businesses, such as finance, accounting, marketing & sales, administration, product design, etc.
- Girl's Club: You can provide workshops on hygiene, body awareness, sex education, dental hygiene and the like (at least 1 day)
Sales & Marketing and Administration for the Small Businesses of the NGO
Learning for Life gives you the opportunity to make use of your skills and interests, and share your knowledge with students who are keen to gain a foothold in the job market. You give them language and/or vocational skills that will help them find a job or suceed in exams.
A typical week at your placement:
Foreign language classes and mathematics classes are usually from 4pm to 9pm. The hours for workshops and clubs are discussed locally with the team.
Typically, your volunteer work is from Monday to Friday, while the weekends are off. However, as there is always a lot to do at Learning for Life (which also has collaborations with other NGOs in Zanzibar), you can also contribute longer than the normal working hours if you wish. Tasks are discussed with you on site depending on your interests.
Location: Fuoni (Zanzibar Town), Zanzibar
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
House, Host Family, Hotel
Supervision Possible: No
Qualification Of Supervisor: -
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: -
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: See Text
Further Contribution To Project: no
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?