Centre for Environmental Education (CEET) in Tangier
- Building an educational garden at CEET, including a greenhouse, a solar-powered well, a drip irrigation system, and composting
- Cooperation with the national program for waste management, rising awareness for the importance of waste separation and recycling in public spaces, schools and mosques in Tangier. This is a long-term project, which will be carried out until 2020.
- Project for the prevention of tuberculosis and HIV in collaboration with the Fondo Mundial
- Workshops on gardening, waste management and recycling
- Development of teaching materials about environmental issues, which can be used for environmental educational workshops for students at the center and at schools, e.g. Scaled buildings, educational games, posters, leaflets, collages, puzzles etc.
- Preparation and implementation of workshops and activities for students: discussions and presentations, lectures, activities, crafts, etc.
- Collecting and classifying plants and insects in the surroundings
- Creating your own project of environmental education
- Conducting a research project about the bustard (an endangered bird native to Morocco)
- A touristic walkway about the bustard
- Water: importance of water, the water cycle, water management, etc.
- Waste: where does wast come from, half-live periods, recycling etc.
- Renewable energy: energy types, energy management etc.
- Plants and Gardening: techniques in horticulture, how to create a garden, classification of leaves and roots, life cycles of plants etc.
Environmental conservation and ecotourism internship at Talassemtane-Nationalpark (ATED)
- Planning and carrying out training sessions about the National Park in the subject areas of biology and environmental conservation for staff of the NGO, local school teachers, youth club leaders and other stakeholders; preparation of educational materials that can be used at local schools; and instructing teachers and youth club leaders about how to carry out ecological study projects.
- Evaluation of possibilities, product development and product improvement, and marketing for local agricultural products that the rural population can produce. These might include: Figs - drying figs (The NGO is already operating a plant to dry figs), improvement of packaging and distribution; quinces and plums are not being processed in a larger scale, but there is potential which needs to be evaluated and the farmers need to be instructed about cultivation, processing (e.g. preservation) and distribution; Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo) - this tree which is widely unknown in other parts of the world is very popular with the local population. Its tasty berries are being collected from wild trees in the forest only, and are currently not being cultivated. There is also unexploited potential in this, for instance for the production of jams. Honey - improvement of packaging and marketing; Aromatic plants and medical plants - there is also potential for commercial use for instance distilling oils, or making ointments and candies.
- Development of rural tourism inside and outside the National Park. Strategies need to be decided how the rural houses/farm houses that offer tourist accommodation, which are particularly popular for Spanish and French tourists, can be marketed in a better way. Further, paths/circuits need to be defined. They can be themed, for instance around watercourses, pines, monkeys etc.
Location: CEET: Tangier, ATED: Chefchaouen; Morocco
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: CEET: 2 weeks; ATED: 1 month
Maximum Duration: 6 months
Language Requirements: CEET: Basic French; ATED: advanced French
Further Languages Of Advantage: Arabic
Accommodation: CEET: Shared Accommodation in Tangier, ATED: Hotel in Chefchaouen
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: various university degrees
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: CEET: -; ATED: student of relevant subject area
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: -
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Tangier
Shared Accommodation in Tangier:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 90 Days||91-180 Days|
|500 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|450 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- In case of duration of stay of more than 90 days, costs for extension of entrance stamp/visa
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Tangier (TNG) Airport, Sea Port (Tanger Ville), bus or train station, on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Tangier
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Local SIM Card with 20 Dh. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Tangier (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
- Per night in a twin room (sharing): 14 EUR (per person)
- Pro night in a single room*: 21 EUR
Overview of other costs:
- Visa no cost for most nationalities; in case of duration of stay of more than 90 days extension is included
- Self-catering around 150-200 EUR (180-240 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Small local expenses (Local transport): around 20-50 EUR (30-60 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Insurance around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month