• Please select what you would like to do, where and for how long!

Au Pair and Child Care in Beijing and Shanghai

Praktikum, Vergütet
Either you live with a Chinese host family as an Au Pair, taking care of the family's children and teaching them English OR you stay at the university's student hall of residence, taking care and teaching English on a per-hour basis to the children of several families. Besides a monthly stipend and free accommodation (in case of host family on full board) you will furthermore get free Chinese language classes! The minimum duration is 3 months and the program is available for individuals from 18-29 years of all nationalities.

Au Pair with one family, or childcare for several families

Do you want to go to China for several months as an Au Pair, taking care of children, with very attractive conditions, while at the same time learning Chinese? You will like our options then!
Please see the following options:
1) Au Pair with a host family
In this case you will live with a host family (single room) on full board (3 meals per day), helping out taking care of of the family's children for 25 hours per week. You will play with the kids and talk in English to them, or you will teach them English if they are a little older.
Besides free accommodation and meals, you will also get a monthly stipend of 3000-4000 RMB. The host family will fill an evaluation form about your performance based on which your salary is determined within this range.
In addition, at the Au Pair Centre you will get free Chinese language lessons for 6 hours per week (one hour = 45 minutes)!
2) Taking care of children/Teaching English for various families
In this case you will share a double room at the students' hall of residence at UIBE (University of International Business and Economics), without meals. There are shared kitchens that you
can use.
For a total of 25 hours per week, you will go to several families (usually up to 6 families; 1-2 families per day for 1.5-3 hours each), teaching their children English in a playful way. Besides free accommodation you will also get a monthly stipend of 3000-4000 RMB.
The start of this option which includes accommodation at the students' hall of residence, is typically with the start of the new semester in February/March and September/October each year.
At the Au Pair Centre you will get free Chinese language lessons for 6 hours per week (one hour = 45 minutes)!
An Au Pair is generally a young person from another country who helps out at a family. Au Pairs are not house attendents, but additional family members ("au pair" is French for "at par" = "equal") who usually get involved in child care and education. In the past, many young Chinese women travelled to North America, Australia and Europe as Au Pairs. Nowadays, many Chinese families want to have an Au Pair as they expect them the teach English to their children from a very young age and so that the mothers have time to go for work. As an Au Pair in China you should have solid skills of the English language.


a) You contact us and let us know when you would like to come and for how long and you email us your CV/resume in English
b) You will have a Skype Interview with one of our Chinese team members
c) We will confirm your participation
d) You confirm that you want to come and we will send you an invoice for the service package; you will pay a first installment of 200 EUR and you will get access to the login
area of our website with preparation materials
e) Prior to your arrival you will email us further documents that we need (No crime certificate, health certificate from your doctor, letter of reference for being suitable for working
with children - we will send you forms for all of this)
f) We will inform you which host family you will be with (in case of Au Pair/host family accommodation)
g) You will pay the remaining amount one month prior to your arrival
h) You travel to China!
Info Box
Location: Beijing and Shanghai
Availability: throughout the year, flexible start dates. For accommodation at UIBE, ideally with the start of the semesters
Minimum Duration: 3 Months
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language requirements: English
Further languages of advantage: -
is provided (in case of host family on full board)
Allgemeines 2
Application documents:
* Tabular CV/resume in English
* Application picture
* Skype username
* Further documents needed later (see text)
Remuneration: 3000-4000 RMB/Month + further benefits
infoboxheader02 3 en
Some Working Holiday positions might be possible as internships for university credit. This depends on the requirement of your university/college.
Internship supervision possible?: No
Accommodation is provided, either with a host family or at the hall of residence of UIBE. In case of host family accommodation it is on full board (3 meals per days), in case of UIBE it is self-catering.

I. World Unite! Service Package

Mobile/Cell Phone Users: If you don't see the rates for your desired duration of stay, hide other (shorter) durations of stay.
  up to 180 Days
181-365 Days
 wu servicepackage
1 Person
800 EUR 900 EUR      
2-4 Persons
(Per Person)
750 EUR 850 EUR      
Convert to USD, GBP, AUD, CAD and other currencies.

The World Unite! Service Package includes:

  • Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
  • Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
  • Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
  • Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application, but not the official government fees for the visa (See costs below)
  • Local Police Registration (if required), assistance with the local Health Checkup (required for some long-time visa) and Opening of a Bank Account in China (required for some jobs/internships)
  • Pick-up and Transfer on arrival from the next international airport to where you do the placement
  • Personal support staff in China/Mongolia (Beijing/Ulaanbaatar) and at our international office
  • Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
  • Local SIM Card (only for placements in Beijing and Ulaanbaatar)
  • Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
  • Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro

The Rates do NOT include:

  • Accommodation and Meals (see below)
  • Travel to/from China (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
  • Official fees for Visa (see below)
  • Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
  • Personal Expenses
  • Vaccinations
  • Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)

II. Accommodation Costs

You find accommodation costs at the tab "Accommodation".
For hotel internships in China with a minimum duration of 3 months, there are usually no costs for accommodation and meals.
For Au Pair in China there are no costs for accommodation and meals in case of host family accommodation. In case of accommodation at the university's hall of residence, there are no accommodation costs, but costs for self-catering.

Overview of other costs:

  • Visa around 40-200 EUR (50-250 USD) depending on activity and duration; to apply for prior to your travel
  • If meals are not included: 100-150 EUR (125-190 USD)/Month (Estimate)
  • Small local expenses (Internet, Local Transport): ca. 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month (Estimate)
  • Insurances around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month

How do I pay?

Once all your questions have been answered and you confirm that you want to participate, we will email you an invoice. You can pay it via bank transfer, credit card or via Paypal. You will pay a deposit of 200 EUR / 250 USD when the invoice is issued. One months prior to your arrival you will pay the remainder for your Service Package.
The payment modalities for rent and possible further costs (e.g. internship supervision fees, as stated in info box of the respective project description) depend on your host country and placement. We will inform you beforehand. In many cases these costs are paid on site, but for some countries and placements they need to be paid partially or fully in advance.

Other Projects That Might Interest You:

These projects are suggestions for alternatives that may interest you or those that could be chosen as COMBINATIONS. The combination of projects in different organizations is often possible and usually cheaper than two individual bookings. Please contact us to know more! Check out our other listings in the areas of "World Learner", "Active Travel" and "Working Holidays" in China to make your stay even more interesting.

Travel Health Insurance

We recommend the following travel insurance that is meant specifically for participants of internships, volunteering, language study, working holiday, and courses abroad. It is available for travelers of all nationalities and usable for all countries, except your home country. You can also add a journey liability insurance.
Just click on the link, fill in the form and you will get a confirmation email.

Getting To China

China Map 
All major cities in China, as well as the holiday islands of Hainan and Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia), have international airports and you fly directly into the city of your project. There, you will be picked up from the airport.

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)

Are there fixed start dates for the project, which I must adhere to?
The start date of any internship, volunteering assignment or Working Holiday can be discussed with your coordinator during your Skype conversation with him/her. The group Chinese language lessons, though, start the first Monday of every month.
Can I stay longer at my accommodation after my volunteering/internship or arrive earlier?
Yes, this is possible and we will give you our best rates. Just let us know when you arrive and leave and we will let you know the costs.
During my stay, can I travel around the country?
During your internship or Working Holiday jobs, you travel around during your free time, holidays or weekends. 
Can I travel alone to China as a young woman?
No problem; in China, women move around freely and confidently.
Will I be the only foreign volunteer/intern in the project or at my site?
We have Working Holiday participants and students in Beijing at most times, and it is possible for you to stay together. The number of interns at a particular site is decided by the company itself. It is very easy to get in contact with other foreigners of your age in Beijing, if you so wish, as there are very many. At other locations, such as Hainan and other cities, we have fewer participants.
What vaccinations do I need?
Our Info - PDF that you get as a participant, gives detailed information on health care. Also refer to Recommended Vaccinations
Where will I live?
You can choose whether you want to live in an apartment in the city center of Beijing, which you share with other participants, or in a hotel. Details are in the tab "Accommodation".
Does my accommodation have internet facilities?
Yes, there is wifi internet.
How can I do my laundry?
The apartments have a washing machine.
Can I cook in the accommodation?
Yes, there are well-equipped kitchens in the apartments. Details are in the tab "Accommodation".
I am a vegetarian. Can I get vegetarian food?
Yes, this is possible.
What language skills do I need?
You should be able to make yourself understood in English. If another language is required, this is indicated in the info-boxes of the respective projects.

Our Partners

  • partners01.jpg
  • partners03.jpg
  • partners04.jpg
  • partners05.jpg
  • partners06.jpg
  • partners07.jpg
  • partners08.jpg
  • partners09.jpg
  • partners10.jpg
  • partners22.jpg
  • partners24.jpg
  • partners25.jpg


Auslandspraktika Internships Abroad

A wide selection of internships in many countries.

Volunteering Volunteering

Charitable placements worldwide.

World Learner World Learner

Learn your host country's knowledge.

Aktivreisen Active Travel

Your alternative holidays.

Academix Academix

Dissertations, intercultural learning.

Work&Travel Working Holiday

Working Holiday in Japan, China and Germany

Quick Poll!

Do you find on our website what you are looking for?

Yes - 57%
No - 21.5%
Partially - 18.3%

Login Form

This website uses cookies for navigation, language selection and other functionalities. By clicking "Accept and Close" you agree that cookies are saved on your device.