Mount Meru Hospital Profile
About your elective placement / internship
Internships are also possible for student of physiotherapy, occupational therapy and midwifery.
Volunteer placements are possible for professional physicians and nurses, midwifes, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The usual working hours are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3:30 pm including one hour of lunch break. If you want, you can also work on Saturdays and Sundays, and you can do night shifts.
Students of medicine, nursing or therapies as well as professional volunteers pay a weekly contribution of 50 USD.
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Availability: whole year, flexible start dates
Minimum duration: 2 weeks
Maximum duration: 12 months
Language requirements: English
Further languages of advantage: Swahili
Host family in Arusha
Supervision possible: yes
Qualification supervisor: Physicians, nurses, midwives, therapists
Minimum qualification intern:
Pre-medical/nursing studend or student
Further contribution to the project: Yes, 50 USD per week
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected qualification of volunteer: professional skills/experience
Further contribution to the project: Yes, 50 USD per month
Professional work attitude, the "right" attitude
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|350 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|300 EUR||400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Moshi
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 110-200 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Visa and Permits (mainland Tanzania): In case of stay of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD for most nationals; In case of stay of 91-180 days: Visa (incl. extension) 550 USD; 181-365 days: Visa 50 USD (for most nationals, except US and Canadian Citizens who pay 100 USD) + Residence Permit 200 USD + Work Permit 500 USD.
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month