Kiwengwa Kindergarten & Primary School (KINS) is a small private, non-profit school in Kiwengwa at the East Coast of Zanzibar, around 1.5 hours to drive from Zanzibar Town. The school is located directly at the beach, just a few steps away from the Indian Ocean.
Children from 2-5 years attend the KINS Kindergarten, which has one group for children from 2-3 ("nursery") and one group for children from 4-5 ("pre-school"). Children from 6-8 years of age attend Primary I and children from 8-12 attend Primary II. The different age groups are not permanently separated from each other, but sometimes they are taught together to stimulare the exchange of children of various ages.
Location: Nungwi or Muungoni, Zanzibar
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: Umoja: 6 weeks; Muungoni: 1 Week; KINS: 1 month, shorter duration possible for workshops
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
Banda of Umoja, Host family, turtle bungalow in Nungwi; Host Family in Mungooni; KINS: House at the beach
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Teachers, Social Workers
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
No formal qualifications required
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Video about the School of Muungoni
- Image Gallery and Report of Iris and Laura in Muungoni
- Report (PDF, 267kb) - Teaching in Muungoni - Sabrina
- Report (PDF, 859kb) - Kindergarten/Teaching in Rural Areas of Zanzibar - Katie
- Report (PDF, 502kb) - Kindergarten/Teaching in Rural Areas of Zanzibar - Nicola
- Image Gallery Excursion in Jozani Forest, Butterfly Centre, ZALA Park, MOTO/DADA on Facebook
Report by Patricia, at Umoja Centre
After a while a lot of people recognize us and you will be less considered as a tourist and accepted more as fellow citizens. Slowly, I can also speak some sentences with the locals, which again increases the acceptance here. Overall, I can say that I got what I hoped for. It is a time, which can be tiring, very educational and also gratifying in certain moments.
Accommodation in Nungwi
Accommodation in the Jozani Forest area
World Unite! Forest Camp
The tropical garden of the World Unite! Forest Camp has a lawn for sunbathing and a refreshing small pool.
Volunteers can make use of a washing machine.
Ecological aspects were of great importance when building the World Unite! Forest Camp. All illumination and the mobile phone chargers we provide are solar-powered. The hot water of the showers comes from solar water heaters. We use high-tech compost toilets.
House and Host Families in Muungoni
Accommodation in Kiwengwa
House in Kiwengwa
You will typically be accommodated in single rooms at a cost of 15 USD per day. The house has 4 rooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and is shared with the local teachers and other volunteers/interns.
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangement of your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure to/from Nungwi/Muungoni
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Our own World Unite! full-time program instructors
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Once per week half-day cultural activity in Muungoni Village
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Use of a Mountain Bike
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar! |
Bungalow at Marine Turtle Sanctuary on Full Board*
|Bed at 4-share dorm room
|Bed at twin room
|Single room||40 EUR/Day|
|In Jozani / Muungoni
World Unite! Forest Camp (form tent) or Host Family of Simple Standard
(single or twin room) on Full Board*
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 130-220 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Zanzibar
Some airlines fly from Germany, Austria and Switzerland directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.