As a participant of World Unite!, you can support two projects with which we cooperate: Labdoo and Pack for a Purpose.
Labdoo is a nonprofit project that collects used laptops (which are repaired if necessary) and installs Ubunto Linux and a collection of free educational software for users from kindergarten to the university level, including an encyclopedia. The computers are then given free to schools and projects that offer computer classes in 68 countries.
The laptops should meet certain minimum technical requirements. When a laptop is broken, it will be replaced and can be returned to be properly recycled. There are other also collaborations with partners that provide infrastructure support, such as electrification.
At almost all of our locations, we have established projects that receive Labdoo computers. You can take one (or more) laptop(s) in your hand luggage and either pass it directly to the project site or hand it over to our coordinator, who then delivers it. Our coordinators also regularly check the existence and condition of the computers. Other travelers who are not World Unite! participants can also bring Labdoo laptops and hand them over to us.
You can pick up the laptops in many countries at different Labdoo "hubs" in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, or they can be shipped free of charge to your home address before your departure.
The institutions that are currently on the World Unite! Labdoo laptops project include:
- Prospective Learning and Charitable Institution (PLCI), Zanzibar
- Zanzibar Aids Association and Orphan Support (ZASO), Zanzibar
- Moshi Institute of Technology (MIT), Tanzania
- Fambuko Agro Solutions Organisation (FASO), Tansania
- Don Bosco Homes, Cochin/Kerala, India
- Cottolengo Special School, Cochin/Kerala, India
- Palms Care Foundation, Navi Mumbai, India
- Dhanladar Convent Schule, Palampur, India
Pack for a Purpose
Pack for a Purpose is an NGO from Raleigh, North Carolina, USA that provides travelers with specific needs lists for communities around the world, enabling travellers who wish to donate materials to local communities at the destination where they are travelling to make informed decisions about the items they bring with them abroad.
We have selected one charitable project in every country where we are active to receive those materials. The project will be changed every year, so that through the rotation, more organizations can benefit from Pack for a Purpose.
Any traveller to the destination (not just participants of World Unite!) who wishes to support the host community through donations in kind can deliver the materials either directly in person to the receiving project (please contact us so that we can arrange the meeting) or they can meet our local coordinators to hand over the materials and we will make sure they will be delivered to the project.
The projects currently supported are:
- Bolivia: Yo voy a tí Children & Youth Center (Cochabamba)
- China: SunVillage Home for Children whose parents are in prison (Beijing)
- India: Palms Care Community slum school and orphanage (Navi Mumbai)
- Israel: Nowaideia - after school care for children from problem families (Tamra)
- Morocco: Primary School of Hajrat Nhal (Tangier)
- Nicaragua: Los Ositos Community Kindergarten (León)
- Tanzania: TODIFO Tanzania Orphans & Disabled Foundation (Moshi)
- Zanzibar: Dalailul-Khairati Nursery & Primary School (Muungoni)