Volunteering with animals on the green island of Ireland
What is the program about?
Dog Shelters: Ireland is facing a major street dog problem. Even though the Irish government is committed to responsible pet care and the number of stray dogs has been reduced by 50% since 2004, thousands of homeless dogs still end up in Ireland's animal shelters every year. We work with several dog shelters that take care of abandoned, abused or neglected dogs, nurse them up and try to find a new home for them. Some animal shelters also take in other animals such as cats.
Shelters for horses, donkeys and ponies: The Green Island is known worldwide for its horse keeping. Horse riding is a popular hobby in Ireland. Many first-class and internationally known racing and sport horses also come from Ireland. At the end of their use as an amateur riding horse or professional racing and sport horse, however, the animals are often no longer needed. In many cases the horses then are brought to sanctuaries, which are "Old Age Homes" for horses, where they spend the last years of their lives and are thus saved from being euthanized. There are also animal shelters that specialize in horses, donkeys and ponies, where animals confiscated by the authorities as a result of neglect or abuse are kept. The facilities are usually run by local unpaid volunteers and are financed through donations and membership fees. As a volunteer, you make an important contribution so that the irreplaceable work of the institutions can be continued.
Pet shop and dog salon: Would you like to work with animals and gain professional experience at the same time? We arrange placements with an Irish pet shop chain where you would clean cages, aquariums and terrariums, change water, feed the animals and advise customers. The shops also have dog salons where you can assist and learn the craft of being a dog groomer. Other services offered include dog care such as treatment for fleas, ticks and worms and nutritional advice for pets. During this assignment you will not only learn how to deal professionally with animals and customers, but you can also improve your English skills at the same time!
How can you get involved?
With a placement in the pet shop you can gain work experience in many areas: You will look after customers, stock up shelves with pet food and pet supplies, clean cages, aquariums and terrariums, feed and care for animals. In the dog salon you can assist the local team with grooming the animals and learn a lot about pet nutrition and care!
What are your working times?
What previous knowledge do you need?
Location: Various locations in Ireland
Availability: all year round; flexible start dates
Minimum Duration: 3 weeks
Maximum Duration: 1 year
Minimum age: 18 years
Required Language Skills: English
Accommodation: Host family accommodation. Details in the tab "Accommodation" below
Supervision possible: Yes
Qualification supervisor: Specialists in handling animals
Minimum qualification of intern: None
Volunteering possible: Yes
Required qualification of interns: none
It is expected:
The "right" attitude
The program costs are:
3-7 weeks: 550 EUR
8-12 weeks: 650 EUR
13 or more weeks: 700 EUR
The accommodation costs are:
175 EUR per week
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from the train or bus station closest to your placement location (please see information how to get there in the slider "Getting There")
- 24 Hours emergency support by our Irish support team
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Accommodation on full board with your host family
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Ireland and the train/bus station nearest to your employment location (you book it on your own; we assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses