What is your placement organisation doing?
The laboratory was started in 2003. From 7.30 a.m. to 10 a.m., Monday to Friday, basic laboratory tests are offered, including complete blood count, malaria test, urine test, scatoscopy, and blood sugar test. There are no funds for further examinations. In 2011, 4,830 tests were carried out.
How can you get involved?
Location: León, Nicaragua
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: Average knowledge of Spanish
Room with Host Family, Shared Accommodation
Supervision Possible: No
Qualification Of Supervisor: -
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: -
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Relevant professional experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in León
Host Family and Shared Accommodation:
Hotel in León
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|700 EUR||800 EUR||900 EUR||1000 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Assistance with visa extension in Nicaragua or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Managua International Airport (MGA) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in León
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 250 C$ air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Nicaragua (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All Rates in US-Dollar! |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|WG / Gastfamilie|
Room with host family
|2 Persons p.p.
|6.50 USD/Day||100 USD/Month|
|Optional: Meals||per person||Breakfast: 2.50 USD, Lunch 3.50 USD, Dinner 3.50 USD||Breakfast: 2.50 USD, Lunch 3.50 USD, Dinner 3.50 USD|
|Optional: WiFi Internet||1 USD/Day||20 USD/Month|
|Optional: Use of kitchen (incl. cooking gas)||1 USD/Day||20 USD/Month|
Hotel incl. Breakfast
| 16 USD/Day with Fan
30 USD/Day with AC
| 360 USD/Month with Fan
700 USD/Month with AC
|2 Persons p.p.
| 13 USD p.p./Day with Fan
18 USD p.p./Day with AC
| 180 USD p.p./Month with Fan
350 USD p.p./Month with AC
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- Visa 10 USD on arrival at the airport for most nationals for a maximum of 90 days. Any extra month 20 USD. If you stay for more than 180 days, you need to leave Nicaragua and go to Costa Rica. When returning to Nicaragua, you get an additional 90 days for 10 USD.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month