The research is to determine scientific methods and techniques from the fields of natural and social sciences that can be implemented as practical solutions for the environment and society of Bolivia. The focus is in the areas of climate change and evaluation of socio-economic impact and ecology in agricultural practices.
Gaia Pacha has airtime on the alternative radio station "Lachiwana”. Volunteers/Interns research on environmental issues, and work on content for the program "Lachiwana Verde" which airs in Cochabamba and other parts of Bolivia.
Gaia Pacha has conducted three times a year since 2006, the "Day of the Pedestrian”, a campaign for environmental awareness. There are creative activities designed for children and adults. Each campaign addresses different environmental problems; e.g. the Madidi National Park, the perception of climate change among the rural population of Bolivia or product recycling. The campaign "manzanas Verdes” revolves around education about topics such as saving energy, water and waste management, in cooperation with the four cultural centers of Cochabamba. In the cultural centers, topics are presented through artistic activities, like films.
Gaia Pacha also works with high school students and trains them to become environmental managers. 10 groups of environmental leaders have been trained since 2011, and there are projects developed with them, as they can carry out environmental activities within their schools and communities.
It is expected of interns and volunteers that they are seriously interested in the subject, prepared, enthusiastic and willing to learn something. You should have an average knowledge of Spanish. For substantial work, they should have acquired by study or otherwise, relevant technical knowledge in the fields of work of Gaia Pacha; for graphic design/web development, etc., this is not mandatory. The minimum duration is 3 months.
In the field of environmental research, Gaia Pacha collaborates with organizations such as Habitat Para La Humanity Bolivia, the Faculty of Forestry of the Universidad Mayor de San Simón (UMSA), the Center for Students of Environmental Engineering of the Catholic University of Bolivia (UCB) and the Cordillera University. This collaboration always leads to current research topics.
Volunteers in the field assist in research and will also contribute to the research activities, both in the field of secondary research (literature analysis), as well as primary research and will write reports.
Another topic of work is climate change. Gaia Pacha has studied the perception of climate change in 43 communities in five areas of Bolivia, and created the documentary "The weather is getting tired” (El tiempo se está cansando). Another research project conducted in 2011, was to evaluate the state guidelines for the prevention and mitigation of climate change. This happened in three cities of Bolivia. A current project, is the use of geological data to make a timeline that will show the temperature change throughout history.
Internships and volunteering in this field are in the disciplines of geology, biology, International policy on climate change and development.
A further area of research of Gaia Pacha is the socio-economic impact studies of agricultural practices. For this, Gaia Pacha explored the influence of quinoa production in Colchak'a Oruro. A current research project deals with the socio- economic and environmental evaluation of soybean production in Santa Cruz. Here, soil and water quality are measured, the efficiency of the technologies used in the cultivation is determined and the influence of soyabean on local biodiversity studied.
Location: Cochabamba, Bolivia
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Month
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English or Spanish
Shared Accommodation, Room with host family, Hostel
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Biologist, Environmental Technician (Engineer)
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies or experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Relevant interest or knowledge
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Cochabamba
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cochabamba Airport (CBB) on arrival and departure
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in La Paz or ViruViru
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Cochabamba
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Rates in US-Dollar! |
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House or Hostel|
House shared with other participants
|2 Persons p.p.
Hostel at Plaza Colon, Dorm bed
|per person||8 USD/Day||240 USD/Month|
Host Family of Middle Standard
on Full Board
|15 USD/Day||15 USD/Day|
|2 Persons p.p.
|15 USD/Day||15 USD/Day|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- For most citizens except US Citizens, no Visa fee for a stay of a maximum of 90 days per calendar year. Any time you stay in excess of 90 days within a calendar year, 20 Bs. fee per day. US Citizens pay currentyl 135 USD Visa fee.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Spanish language or indigenous language lessons
Travel Health Insurance
Coordinator in Cochabamba
Recreational Activities in Cochabamba
* Day visit of the Inca ruins at Incallajta
* Day trekking trip in the subtropical misty forest of Incachaca
* 3 day trip to Catavi mining area (has socio-historical importance) on the Altiplano highland
* 3 day trip to Chapare into the tropical lowland of Cochabamba - swimming in rivers and hiking in the rain forest
* 3 day trip to Torotoro Nationalpark, including a visit to the Inca ruins and climbing Cerro Tunari