How can you get involved?
All Women Recycling
Yoga, Meditation and Environmental Education (Muizenberg)
- SEO, Web Management and Social Media: Google Adwords, Google Analytics, Google Grants, WordPress Website Support, Social Media Optimization
- Marketing and Communication: Content Creation for Social Media and Blogs, Writing Press Releases and Articles, Networking, Support with Google Analytics & Google Grants
- Content Creation: Photo and video editing, creating short videos, photos and blog posts, uploading content (blog, YouTube, etc.), attending events for video documentation, archiving, developing creative communication strategies.
Urban Greening and Reforestation (Cape Town)
- Marketing: Market research, research into new marketing channels, development and application of creative marketing strategies, direct marketing (networking), drafting of proposals, brochures and marketing materials for events, and support of the marketing database.
- Creative Writing: Developing a creative content strategy, creating content for blogs, social media, brochures, websites, etc., researching in the current best-practice social media strategies, writing press releases, and maintaining the media.
- Social Media and PR: Digital marketing, online community management, developing community strategies, looking after the online community, attending events and meetings, researching new communication strategies, fundraising, and networking.
- Fundraising: Fundraising, feedback on fundraising events, newsletters, preparation of grant applications and proposals, updates on information on fundraising platforms, database maintenance, evaluation of data, and preparation of donation reports
Reviving Traditional Craftsmanship (Cape Town)
- Administration, data entry and administration
- Social Media, Communication and Marketing
- Website and online shop updates
- Helping at the store in Cape Town (shelving, sales accounting, recording of works of art, artist visits)
Photography and Conservation (Cape Town)
- Content Writing: Creative writing, creating online content (blogs, articles, newsletters etc.), developing content marketing, helping to create social media strategies, posts on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), and support in Digital Marketing Campaigns.
- Marketing: Content Marketing, Social Media, SEO, Strategy Development, Fundraising, Networking, Market Research, and Administration of Google Ad Grants
Sleeping Bags for the Homeless (Cape Town)
- Support and development of social media strategies, and support of social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Writing social media posts as well as website updates
- Sales and fundraising support
- Qualitative research within the homeless population: preparation of research questions, creation of solutions to homelessness
Mobile Solar Cinema (Cape Town)
- Social Media: Writing posts and developing Social Media strategies
- Marketing: Marketing Strategies and Digital Marketing
- Newsletter: Creation of content and shipping
- Fundraising activities
- Preparation and coordination of cinema screenings
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Availability: throughout the year, flexible starting date
Minimum duration: 8 weeks
Maximum duration: 26 weeks
Language skills required: English
Further language of advantage: French
Accommodation: Shared apartment
Internship possible: Yes
Qualification of supervisor: media professionals
Minimum qualification intern: see text
Further contribution to the project: No
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected qualification volunteers: see text
Further contribution to the projekt: No
Professional work, the "right" attitude
Accommodation in Cape Town
Guest House in Cape Town city centre
House in Table View
Surfer Hostel in Muizenberg
The Surfer Hostel is located directly on the beach of Muizenberg, which is well known for its colourful beach houses. You can choose between a dorm bed (separated by sex) and single room, or, if two book together, there is also the double room option.
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|350 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|300 EUR||400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Port Elizabeth (PLZ) Airport in case of placement in Port Elizabeth respectively Cape Town (CPT) in case of placement in Cape Town on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Port Elizabeth / Cape Town
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Contribution to your project of at least 50 USD
- Local SIM Card with 100 ZAR air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Port Elizabeth / Cape Town (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport in Cape Town (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Preisangaben in EUR |
|All durations of stay |
|WG-Zimmer oder Hostel|
Shared Volunteer House on Full Board
in Port Elizabeth
|Dorm room bed p.p.||160 EUR/week|
Hostel without meals
in central Cape Town
|2 Persons p.p.
|Dorm room bed p.p.||20 EUR/night|
Room at shared apartment
in central Cape Town
|2 Persons p.p.
Surf Hostel without meals
in Muizenberg Beach
|2 Persons p.p.
|Dorm room bed p.p.||15 EUR/night|
Lodge without meals
in Table View (northern Cape Town)
|2 or 3 Persons p.p.
|Dorm room bed p.p.||100 EUR/week|
Host family of upper standards
on full board in Cape Town
(incl. Muizenberg Beach & Table View)
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- Small local expenses in Cape Town (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Travel Health Insurance
Table Mountain dominates the city, on whose shallow top impressive clouds often form and then slide down into the unique flora and fauna of its slopes, vineyards and beaches. They are part of the Table Mountain National Park, which provides opportunities for numerous excursions and nature activities nearby the city.
The city centre, also called "City Bowl", bordered by mountains and the beach, is modern and has offices, shops, restaurants, bars, museums, galleries, tourist attractions and the harbor. There are also many colonial buildings, such as in Long Street, which is a landmark with many antique shops, hotels, restaurants and bars.
The suburbs north of the city center are mainly residential areas of middle to upper middle standards. West of it, there is the Atlantic Seaboard coastline, known for its white sand beaches, coastal roads and trendy bars and restaurants that also attract many holidaymakers. Its ocean waters however are rather cold for swimming.
The majority of the 3.7 million inhabitants of Cape Town live in townships, which are located mainly in the eastern outskirts, north along False Bay. They were founded during the time of racial segregation to accommodate the non-white population. Even today, many families live there in poverty under bad living conditions.