School, Afterschool Club and Youth Work
In the mornings, you can be a co-teacher, supporting the local teachers in the classroom by looking after children who are having learning difficulties or who simply need a bit more support. There are some children with physical or mental disabilities who need your individual attention.
If you want, after a familiarization and orientation phase, you can also teach on your own, e.g. English, drawing/painting, sports or music. Volunteers can also teach sports or art groups.
In the afternoons, after an hour of lunch, until about 4 or 5 pm, you will help at the afterschool club, doing recreational activities with the children and youth such as games, singing, painting and sports. You also support the children with their homework. You can also plan and implement projects and events (for example children's camps, excursions or project work).
Outside of school hours, as a volunteer you can support the Christian-Protestant youth work of the organization if you are interested (not compulsory). Volunteers also help out with the cleanliness, maintenance and appearance of the rooms, equipment and playground and can, if interested, also support the school in administrations.
During the holidays from mid-December to the end of January, the centre is closed.
Possible activities for volunteers/interns:
- Co-teacher for formal school lessons or teaching on your own
- Providing educational support to individual children
- Homework support
- Conducting leisure activities such as games, singing, painting, sports
- If interested: administrative tasks, maintenance of rooms and playground equipment, religious work
- Assisting the children and youth with their daily tasks and routines
- Participation in daily tasks in the facility, such as food preparation and food distribution or cleaning up
- Child care
- Conduct games, crafts, painting, singing and other activities for children
- Performing creative and playful learning tasks
- Support the social worker or psychologist in their activities
Teaching and Day care for children whose parents are in prison
- Support in pre-school education; learning letters and numbers
- Learning support
- Help with homework
- Implementation of recreational activities such as playing games, singing, painting, sports, etc.
- Implementation of creative and playful learning tasks
- Integration of knowledge about health, hygiene and nutrition for volunteers who have professional experience in these areas
Education and Leisure Time Activities with disadvantaged children and youth
Volunteer Activities at the Community Center:
Bolivia Digna operates its own community centers in two disadvantaged communities on the outskirts of Cochabamba, offering a variety of activities for children and adolescents from Monday to Friday.
Preschool (kindergarten): As a volunteer at the preschool you support the staff in the care of 2-6-year-old children, play with them and getting involved in creative and educational activities (eg simple number games, reading stories, etc.).
Teaching English: The Community Centres offer English language classes twice a week. Bolivia Digna wants to facilitate a playful approach to learning a foreign language. As a volunteer, you can come up with creative English learning games and support the teachers in class.
Homework help: Every afternoon, children attend the Community Center to do their homework. As a volunteer you will motivate and assist the kids with their homework.
Sports: As a balance to sitting in classroom, Bolivia Digna offers sports activities for children and adolescentss everal times a week, e.g. Football. As a meaningful leisure activity, sports also convey important values such as team spirit, discipline, concentration and a sense of duty.
Creative projects: Children from disadvantaged backgrounds often do not have the opportunity to learn skills or develop talents that are not "directly usable". Bolivia Digna tries to fill this gap with projects that provide inspiration and foster the children's creative abilities. As a volunteer you can implement your own ideas here!
Health & Nutrition: Many of the children live in residential areas where there is no clean drinking water. Their diet is often poor and home hygiene standards are often low. Bolivia Digna tries to teach children and young people about personal health and hygiene.
Activities for Volunteers in the Outreach Community Programs:
In addition to its own projects, Bolivia Digna supports local partner projects in Cochabamba. At two schools in poorer neighborhoods, you can help teachers in the mornings in the classroom, looking after children who need a bit more individual guidance. Additionnally, you can spend time in the afternoons at a daycare center, where children whose parents are in prison do their homework and spend their spare time. Thirdly, you can visit children at a hospital in the mornings, playing, reading and distracting them from their illness. You can also do some fundraising for these children, to be able to purchase games, puzzles and books.
Location: Cochabamba, Bolivia
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: Nuevo Conocer: 4 weeks, Esperanza: 1 week; House of Friendship, Bolivia Digna: 1 month
Maximum Duration: 6 months
Language Requirements: Nuevo Conocer: Intermediate Spanish, Volunteering with Esperanza: No Spanish required; Internship: Basic Spanish; House of Friendship; Bolivia Digna: Basic Spanish
Shared Accommodation, Room with Host Family, Hostel
Supervision Possible: Only at Fundación Esperanza
Qualification Of Supervisor: Social Worker, Psychologist
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies or work experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: none
Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Cochabamba
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cochabamba Airport (CBB) on arrival and departure
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in La Paz or ViruViru
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Cochabamba
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Rates in US-Dollar! |
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House or Hostel|
House shared with other participants
|2 Persons p.p.
Hostel at Plaza Colon, Dorm bed
|per person||8 USD/Day||240 USD/Month|
Host Family of Middle Standard
on Full Board
|15 USD/Day||15 USD/Day|
|2 Persons p.p.
|15 USD/Day||15 USD/Day|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- For most citizens except US Citizens, no Visa fee for a stay of a maximum of 90 days per calendar year. Any time you stay in excess of 90 days within a calendar year, 20 Bs. fee per day. US Citizens pay currentyl 135 USD Visa fee.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Spanish language or indigenous language lessons
Travel Health Insurance
Coordinator in Cochabamba
Recreational Activities in Cochabamba
* Day visit of the Inca ruins at Incallajta
* Day trekking trip in the subtropical misty forest of Incachaca
* 3 day trip to Catavi mining area (has socio-historical importance) on the Altiplano highland
* 3 day trip to Chapare into the tropical lowland of Cochabamba - swimming in rivers and hiking in the rain forest
* 3 day trip to Torotoro Nationalpark, including a visit to the Inca ruins and climbing Cerro Tunari