On the sun-drenched, English-speaking Mediterranean island of Malta, we arrange internships and volunteer placements in social work, nursing and physiotherapy for students, trainees and graduates of related subjects.
What is your internship organization doing?
We work in Malta with a large number of government, church, NGO and private company-run organizations that provide social work and healthcare services. These include:
- Day care centers for children from difficult social backgrounds
- Geriatric homes and day care facilities for the elderly
- Homes and day care centers for people with disabilities
- Injury rehabilitation facility
- Respite care centre
- Protection center for victims of domestic violence
- Refugee home
- Half way house after imprisonment or drug rehabilitation
- Social work organizations
- Centre that supports people with eating disorders
What are your tasks?
As an intern, you will accompany a social worker or healthcare worker in your facility in their daily work and assist. The exact tasks differ depending on the institution, but can be summarized as follows:
- Communication, exchange, leisure activities with the beneficiaries of the institutions - responding to their needs, encouraging them to achieve their goals, helping them to maintain a positive attitude
- Support of therapeutic measures
- In the area of care: giving food, bathing, assisting with getting dressed; you will always be part of a team of 3 people
- Coordination with various professionals and other departments
- Administrative tasks, e.g. keeping patient files
- Ensuring compliance with the supervisory authorities and internal guidelines
What are your working hours?
You are usually full-time (40 hours/week) at your placement organisation. This might include work on the weekend, but you would then have days off to compensate.
Which previous knowledge is required?
An intermediate level of English language skills (B1) is required. Otherwise no further previous knowledge is necessary. For legal reasons, we can only offer placements in Malta to students, trainees and graduates (up to a maximum of 1 year after graduation) of related fields of study. Supervised student internships for credit are possible.
Availability: all year round; flexible start dates
Minimum Duration: 2 weeks
Maximum Duration: 6 months
Minimum age: 18 years
Required Language Skills: English, at least B1 level
Accommodation: House shared with other interns; Details in the tab "Accommodation" below
Supervision possible: Yes
Qualification supervisor: Social work and healthcare professionals
Minimum qualification of intern: Must be student or trainee
Volunteering possible: Yes
Required qualification: must be student or trainee
It is expected:
The "right" attitude
Accommodation is in a traditional Maltese house with a Mediterranean flair. You can select between a bed in a dorm room (3-4 share) or a twin or single room.
The house has a fully equipped shared kitchen (self catering), shared bathroom, a dining area, an outdoor seating area and a washing machine. Water, electricity, gas, WiFi, maintenance and bed linen are provided.
The costs consist of the program costs and the accommodation costs.
The program costs:
1 Person: 600 EUR
2-3 Persons, booking and travelling together: 500 EUR pro Person
Groups of 4 or more please contact us for group rates.
The accommodation costs:
Rates per person per week:
Shared house: 140 EUR in a dorm room (3-4 share) or 180 EUR in a twin room or 220 EUR in a single room, not including meals. (VAT included)
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials
- Airport transfers on arrival and return travel from/to Malta Airport (MLA)
- Local orientation
- Accompaniment to your internship on your first day of internship
- On-site support team in Malta
- Accommodation at a shared traditional Maltese house, self-catering (see details in the tab "Accommodation")
- 24 Hours emergency support by our support team
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Malta
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
You will fly to Malta Airport (MLA). We will pick you up and bring you to your shared house.
As an extra you can book English language classes.
Details will be published here shortly.
To book English language lessons, simply mention it in the booking/inquiry form or ask our support team!