As a volunteer on the Western Cape horseback riding project, you will accompany daily riding tours for tourists along paradise-like white sandy beaches, through dune forests and the typical fynbos landscapes of Africa's southern coast. In addition, you work daily at the horse ranch, feeding, grooming and caring for the 11 horses and 4 ponies, cleansing their hooves, saddling them, and helping with everything that needs to be done on the ranch. You will live in volunteer house of high standards right on the ranch. If you love horses, this volunteer placement is the best you can find in South Africa!
A dream coming true for horse and horse riding enthusiasts!
How can you get involved?
- Feeding, grooming, cleansing and caring for the horses
- Preparations for the trails
- Saddling horses and removing saddles
- Meet & greet with guests, giving briefings about the trails (also using foreign languages)
- Accompanying trails
- Swimming with horses
- Mucking out
- Paddock cleaning
- Beach & trail clean-ups with the hosts and other volunteers from the nearby town
- Small maintenance and repair works at the ranch
- There might be the chance to train ride new and young horses at off-times
What does your day typically look like?
- Check horses, groom, clean hooves, turnout
- Preparation for trail – includes tack check, equipment preparation, tacking up horses
- Meet & greet with guests
- Trail – assist on horseback or on the ground (leading horse by foot on trails for beginner costumers)
- Return from trail – off-saddle, clean tack, check horses, turnout
- Break for lunch
- Training, farm tasks, excursions or activities
- Possible Sundowner Trail
You should be physically fit enough for this job and open to new experiences. You should love horses and nature. Ideally you already have experience in riding and with horses, but this is not absolutely necessary. Please note, if you weigh over 75 kg, riding the horses is only possible for experienced riders.
Location: Western Cape, South Africa
Start dates: Every Monday. Starting is not possible during the month of December.
Minimum duration: 3 weeks
Maximum duration: 3 months
Minimum age: 18 years
Language skills required: English
Other languages of advantage: French, German
Accommodation: Volunteer house on the horse ranch. You will share a twin room with another volunteer; incl. breakfast and lunch
Internship possible: No
Qualification of supervisor: -
Minimum qualification intern: -
Further contribution to the project: -
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected qualification volunteers: Horseriding skills are of advantage, but not a requirement
Further contribution to the projekt: No
Professional work, the "right" attitude
Volunteer House on the Horse Ranch
Breakfast and lunch are included in the rate: The ingredients will be provided to you for you to prepare your meals. The volunteer house has a fully equipped kitchen. You are in charge of your own dinner. You can go shopping in the city with the owners. Outside the volunteer house there is also a braai (barbecue).
A maximum of 4 persons are sharing the kitchen and sanitary installations.
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cape Town (CPT) airport on arrival and departure
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Accommodation at twin room including breakfast and lunch
- Two excursions to choose from: L'Agulhas southernmost tip of Africa, Cave & sandstone beach walk at De Plaat, Platbos indigenous forest, Hermanus cliff walk.
- Local SIM Card with 100 ZAR air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Cape Town (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses