Finca in La Soledad (San Cristobal)
In the area of “Cerro Verde”, farming is done, which is important to provide occupation and income to the local population, and to guarantee the supply of food, as importing all produce from mainland Ecuador would be of worse ecologic impact. When it comes to farming, it has to be taken into consideration that no introduced species can spread into the islands’ nature. The green houses of the National Park administration, where native species are grown, are also located at Cerro Verde.
Organic-Farm La Envidia (Santa Cruz)
Volunteering at the Farms
Volunteer work at the NGO in La Soledad (Island San Cristobal) includes the removal of introduced species of plants such as guava and blackberry, and to breed and plant original, local plans instead. Around 1900 trees were planted so far; the NGO has its own tree nursery. The 15 families of the village are supported in eco-farming to make them less depending on the import of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables to cater for the guests are also cultivated on the land, using techniques of eco-farming. Volunteers also build paths for hiking in the area and develop further ecotourism activities.
The farm makes use of renewable energies and avoids, recycles and composts waste.
Participants don’t need any previous experiences, but they need to be prepared to do physical work such as making use of a machete and having to carry loads such as watering cans and garden tools.
At the organic farm La Envidia en Santa Cruz, interns and volunteer try to stop the expansion of invasive species such as blackberry and Tupi Rosa. They plant short-cycle crops in small scale; they plant organic coffee (the crops of this produce are segmented, this means that while an area is ready for harvesting twice a year, the other area is in process of growing; nevertheless, it needs to be maintained and cleaned along the year), and breed and take care of farm animals (cows, chicken, ducks, pigs).
Location: San Cristobal or Santa Cruz-Island, Galapagos
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Weeks
Language Requirements: No Spanish is needed!
Accommodation at the Farm
Supervision Possible: No
Qualification Of Supervisor: -
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: -
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Galapagos
House in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno:
Accommodation in Project:
Rates for Volunteering
The Rates for Volunteering include:
- Accommodation in Galapagos including vegan meals
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to San Cristobal (SCY) or Balta/Seymore Airport (GPS), depending on location of your volunteering, on arrival and departure
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- Donation to your project
The Rate DON'T include
- Travel to and from Galapagos (you book it on your own)
- Migration Card and National Park Fees (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Arrival outside of regular office hours and public holidays + 25 USD
- Major change after initial booking + 30 EUR
Overview of other costs:
- Migration Card 20 USD
- National Park Fee 100 USD
- If meals are not included: around 100-200 EUR (120 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Small local expenses (Internet, Local transport): around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Insurance 20-40 EUR(30-50 USD)/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Learning Spanish in Galapagos!
Individual Lessons and Accommodation in Student House: