What is your internship organization doing?
ZAASO also advocates for the protection of the "working donkey". Donkey carts are an important means of transportation for the inhabitants of Zanzibar. But the carts are often overloaded beyond measure. Once a week, the medical team of ZAASO visit the donkey owners. The animals are treated and the ZAASO members simultaneously use the opportunity to convey important information to protect the donkeys and promote the owners’ appreciation for the animals.
In additional to this, ZAASO works to improve animal rights in Zanzibar. To this end, the organization has developed legislative proposals for the Government and has engaged in education and awareness raising.
How can you get involved?
Location: Kianga (Chwaka Bay) Zanzibar
Availability: All year
Minimum Duration: Internship: 2 Months; Volunteering: 1 Month
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Contribution To Project: Swahili
Accommodation at ZAASO
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Veterinarian
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Professionally appropriate experience and/or studies
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Skills relevant for ZAASO
Further Contribution To Project: None
Motivation, Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 130-220 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days in Zanzibar: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days.
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Check out our video on Zanzibar Town!
Zanzibar - Spice Island in the Indian Ocean
Things to do in Zanzibar
Getting To Zanzibar
Several airlines fly directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.