Staying at Koninji Temple
How can you get involved as a volunteer?
About the Crested Ibis
As a result, the government of Japan, in cooperation with the Chinese government, launched an internationally recognized reintroduction program on Sado Island, where Crested Ibises from China were bred in captivity and released since 2008. The first hatchings in the wild were observed in 2012. Today there are again around 440 ibises on Sado Island, some of which were even spotted on the neighboring main island of Honshu.
Essential for the survival of birds in the wild are the presence of suitable habitats. This includes traditional rice farming methods and the design of paddy fields including zones where the birds can feed throughout the year, as well as biotopes optimised as feeding and breeding grounds for the ibis. The inclusion of Sado rice farmers and the promotion of traditionally grown, high quality organic rice from Sado Island have been crucial to the success of the reintroduction program.
Did you know?
Location: Sado Island, Japan
Availability: First Monday of April to last Monday of October every year, arrival into the program every Monday and Friday
Minimum duration: 1 week
Maximum duration: 4-24 weeks depending on visa
Language requirements: English
Other languages of advantage: Japanese
Accommodation: Koninji Temple in Hamochihongo, Sado Island
Supervision possible: Yes
Qualification Supervisor: Biologist
Minimum Qualification Intern:
no formal qualification required
Further project contribution: No
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected Qualification Volunteer: None
Further project contribution: No
Professional work attitude, "the right attitude"
I. World Unite! Service Package
- Participation in all program activities (offered on 7 days/week)
- Orientation and Introduction atKoninji about the program activities
- Transfers for all program activities on Sado Island
- Accommodation in 4-share Japanese tatami room or 4-share tent (you choose) [Single/Double occupancy possible at extra charge, see below]
- Full board (3 meals per day) incl. unlimited drinking water and tea
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (mobile phone friendly Knowledge Base)
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Support with the travel from Tokyo to Sado by our Tokyo team
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Sado (Ryotsu) Ferry Terminal on arrival and departure to/from Mother Nature Camp Sado
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- For the CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights: Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Sado Island (you book it on your own; see details in the slider "Getting There" below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Weekend leisure activities
II. Accommodation Costs
Surcharge twin occupancy at a tent* or 2-share tatami room* or Western double/twin room* (compared to 4-share tent/room): +60 EUR/week per person.
Children under 14 only pay 150 EUR/week.
If you arrive in Narita or Haneda on a Thursday before 12 noon you can meet one of our employees at the airport who can buy the tickets with you for the onward journey to Sado on the same day (total costs approx. 160 EUR/180 USD).
If you arrive on a Thursday after 12 noon or on any other day of the week, you can book additional nights with us at the Sharehouse in Tokyo (EUR 15/night in a dorm room) and travel to Sado on the following Thursday or Monday. Optional pick-up from Narita or Haneda Airport on another day of the week +80 EUR/90 USD. You can also come to our Tokyo Sharehouse by public transport yourself.
Alternatively, you can also travel independently to Sado on any other day of the week. For the arrival or departure in Sado on a different weekday than Monday or Thursday, we would charge an additional 80 EUR (90 USD) for the transfer from/to Ryotsu Port per vehicle and 20 EUR (22.50 USD) from/to Ogi Port. Additional nights in the project and program participation + 48 EUR/night (57 USD) on full board.