Staying at Koninji Temple
How can you get involved as a volunteer?
About the Crested Ibis
As a result, the government of Japan, in cooperation with the Chinese government, launched an internationally recognized reintroduction program on Sado Island, where Crested Ibises from China were bred in captivity and released since 2008. The first hatchings in the wild were observed in 2012. Today there are again around 440 ibises on Sado Island, some of which were even spotted on the neighboring main island of Honshu.
Essential for the survival of birds in the wild are the presence of suitable habitats. This includes traditional rice farming methods and the design of paddy fields including zones where the birds can feed throughout the year, as well as biotopes optimised as feeding and breeding grounds for the ibis. The inclusion of Sado rice farmers and the promotion of traditionally grown, high quality organic rice from Sado Island have been crucial to the success of the reintroduction program.
Did you know?
Location: Sado Island, Japan
Availability: First Monday of May to last Monday of October every year, program start every Monday
Minimum duration: 1 week
Maximum duration: 4-24 weeks depending on nationality
Language requirements: English
Other languages of advantage: Japanese
Accommodation: Koninji Temple in Hamochihongo, Sado Island
Supervision possible: Yes
Qualification Supervisor: Biologist
Minimum Qualification Intern:
no formal qualification required
Further project contribution: No
Volunteering possible: Yes
Expected Qualification Volunteer: None
Further project contribution: No
Professional work attitude, "the right attitude"
I. World Unite! Service Package
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Support with the travel from Tokyo to Sado by our Tokyo team
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Sado Ferry Terminal on arrival and departure to/from Mother Nature Camp Sado
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction to Iwakubi and the project work
- Our own World Unite! program instructor
- Transfers for all volunteering activities and visits outside of Iwakubi
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- For the CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights: Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Sado Island (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Weekend leisure activities
II. Accommodation Costs
Accommodation 280 EUR per week at fully furnitured 2+2-share tent (one tent has 2 rooms which will be occupied by 2 persons each)* or 4-share tatami room* on full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner), including filtered drinking water and tea.
Surcharge single occupancy of a room at the tent or 2-share tatami room* or Western double/twin room* (compared to 4-share tent/room): +70 EUR/week per person.
Surcharge pickup from Haneda/Narita Airport in Tokyo and transfer by public transport to the sharehouse in Tokyo (arrival Thursday between 8am and 9pm): 60 EUR
Surcharge pick up at Sado Island from Ferry Terminal and transfer to Mother Nature Camp Iwakubi on arrival days other than Mondays: 80 EUR
Children under 14 pay half of the service package and accommodation price.
We will provide detailed travel information.
In the Ryotsu ferry port of Sado you will be picked up by us on a Monday and also brought back there on a Monday.
For the arrival or departure in Sado on a day other than Mondays, we would charge an additional 80 EUR per way for the transfer.