1. Different standards of living
- Don’t overtly show around valuables and cash. Those who walk around with packets of money, big cameras, expensive mobile phones, jewellery, designer cloths and accessories, of course attract attention. You should estimate how much money you will need and you should not carry with you much more than this. The rest should be stored at a safe place. At certain locations it is recommended not to use mobile phones on the street and to use small photo cameras which can be easily hidden in one’s pockets.
- Carry your valuables in zipper pockets close to the body; an old plastic bag draws less attention to itself than a stylish camera bag!
- You should not linger in dark, obscure and deserted areas alone. At night, take a taxi home.
- Beware of pickpockets, especially at unclear places with large crowds, such as the market or in public transport.
- Never change money on the street. It is not only illegal, but the probability that you will get cheated or robbed is very high.
- Avoid conflicts, don’t provoke people.
- Most countries abroad have more rigorous penalties than European countries for violations against civil and criminal laws, such as the purchase or consumption of illegal drugs. Don't buy and consume drugs!