Be part of a farmer community on Kilimanjaro, learn about and contribute to climate protection!
The Project Activities
Why is your support needed?
Did you know?
Arrival for this program is possible on any Wednesday. You will then get an introduction to the project activities and the Mweka Community on the following day. It is also possible to start on other days of the week, but in this case you would be charged an additional 60 EUR. If you combine the Kilimanjaro program with the Mother Nature Conservation Camp Zanzibar, the change between the two locations will also be on Wednesdays.
Location: Mweka Village/Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Availability: All year, Start every Wednesday
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 6 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
Minimum Age: 16 years
Host Family in Mweka Village, Mother Nature Forest Camp Kilimanjaro
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: BA Community Development
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
No formal qualification required
Further Contribution To Project: No
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: No
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
World Unite! Forest Camp Kilimanjaro
Between the tents there is a communal space with a kitchen building, a roofed pergola, and tables and benches under the sky where meals are served, prepared by the community chef (breakfast, lunch and dinner). At the kitchen you can get triple-filtered drinking water at no extra charge.
Ecological aspects were of great importance when building the World Unite! Forest Camp. All illumination and the mobile phone chargers we provide are solar-powered. The hot water of the showers comes from solar water heaters. Local and renewable construction materials have been used as far as possible.
The camp has two watchmen, providing 24 hours security. Valuables can be stored at a safe deposit box.
We try to separate the bed occupancy by gender, however we cannot guarantee this, depending on varying booking numbers of males and females.
Host families in the Mweka Community
World Unite! Mother Nature Climate Change Program Kilimanjaro
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Accommodation (6-share tent with other participants) or alternatively, if you prefer, with a host family of simple standards in Mweka Village
- Full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Participation in all activities (5 days per week) as described. Note: Not all activities take place at all times.
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangement of your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) on arrival and departure to/from Mweka
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction to Mweka Village and the project work
- Our own World Unite! full-time program instructor
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to the tree nursery community group
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
Overview of other costs:
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Visa 50 USD; For placement of 91-180 days: total visa costs 200 USD
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month