Outdoor activities at Ise-Shima National Park
The Ise Shima National Park in Mie Prefecture is known for its densely forested hilly coastal landscape with many bays and small islands along the coast.
Provider of Ama tours and nature tours in Toba
The tours include visiting the Ama women who explain their techniques. Afterwards, visitors can enjoy freshly caught seafood, which has the reputation to be the best of Japan. Up to the Heian period (794-1185), only seafood from Ise-Shima was served at the imperial palace.
Furthermore there are boat tours with lunch at a fishing village, and during the summer months (June-September) tours to watch Sea Fireflies (Vargula hilgendorfii). Sea Fireflies are nocturnal small water animals that have been existing for 400 million years, known for their blue bioluminescence.
The customers of this tour operator are both from Japan and from abroad. During the summer months, they also receive Japanese student groups almost every day.
As an intern, you will accompany the tours and support the guides. In addition, at the office in central Toba City, you'll be helping with social media marketing, writing texts for websites and flyers, doing translations, as well as answering inquiries and communicating with clients in English and other languages that you know.
Fisherman's Guesthouse and Experience in Ise-Shima
As an intern, around 60-80% of your time will be spent on fishing-related activities, and 20-40% on tourism-related activities (more tourism-related activities during the summer months of July to September, less tourism-related activities in the off-season).
The fishing-related activities include: Red Snappers are bred in large, floating cages in the bay. Every morning at 6am you will go by boat to the cages to feed the fish. If the company has orders for fish, some fish will be taken from the cages, packaged and transported by truck directly to the customers or to the fish markets of Nagoya or Fukui. You will assist with all these activities. If you are interested, you can also join the truck to get to know other parts of Japan.
The tourism-related activities include: Tourists can join the fishing boat and learn how to catch fish by net from the cages as well as from the sea. Then they get a Japanese cooking lesson and learn how to prepare the freshly-caught fish in a Japanese style. There are also lessons on how to properly fillet fish, on how to cut fish for sushi/sashimi, and how to smoke fish.
You can be a tour guide (either as an assistant or on your own) in English and possibly other foreign languages that you know, providing the boat trips and cooking lessons (you will learn how to do all of this). Also you can assist with social media marketing, answer inquiries and do communications with clients.
The internship is possible all year round, but few tourism-related activities take place during the winter months. Your internship will be on 5 days per week for about 8 hours per day. As an intern, you should enjoy to eat fresh fish. Accommodation is in a village house for JPY 3500 per night. There is a kitchen at the house and food ingredients will be provided to you without additional costs.
Outdoor Tours at Tomoyama-Park
With either 3 tours of 1.5 hours or 2 tours of 3 hours per day during the summer season and up to 60 kayaks joining each tour, accompanied by multiple guides, this company is one of the largest and most professional outdoor tour operators in the region. Customers also include foreign travel groups who spend 2 days of their 10-days Japan itinerary inside the Ise Shima National Park, doing all kind of outdoor activities.
As an intern, you would ccompany the various tours, support the marketing and PR activities in English as well as in other languages you might know, e.g. production of TV programs and content for Youtube, Instagram, and assist in product development for your home markets.
Your internship will be on 5 days per week. The internship is available all year round. Accommodation is in a municipal hostel next to the company's visitor center inside Tomoyama Park and food is delivered to you. The cost is 3500 JPY per night.
Sunny Coast Kayaking
In the summer months there is a daily tour from 9:30am to 12pm and another from 1:30pm to 4pm, with a maximum of 6 kayaks (singles or doubles) per tour. The winter months are typically sunny and the bay usually has very calm water, so tours are possible all year round.
As an intern, on 5 days per week, you will accompany tours, supporting the guide, prepare equipment for tours, do social media marketing from the office, and answer inquiries in English.
Internships are available year-round except for the peak month of August, when the company owner is too busy with the tours to take care of interns.
Accommodation is in a hotel of high standards. You will pay 3500 JPY per night for a single room. The real cost of athe ccommodation are about twice that amount, but the city of Okasho will cover the extra costs. The room has a fridge, but no kitchen. You can cook in the kitchen of the kayaking centre and ingredients will be provided to you at no extra cost. Photos of the hotel can be found at the end of the picture gallery.
Countyside Tourism, bicycle tours in Takayama
In addition, the tour operator offers guided walking tours in Takayama with a culinary focus, where visitors can witness the production of sake, soy sauce and miso, as well as guided cross-country skiing tours in winter, during which the snow is mostly high in the region.
Interns join the bicycle tours as assistant guides, they provide information at the company's reception desk in Takayama, assist with marketing, for instance writing texts for the company's website, and they join community activities. Basic Japanese language skills are expected. Applicants must pass a skype interview. The minimum duration of the internship is 1 month. The working hours are usually from 9am to 6pm with a one-hour lunch break on 5 days per week. Sometimes the work might start earlier.
Diving school, sailing tours and traditional guest house in Shizuoka
Shin-Etsu Hiking Trail
Ogasawara Islands Nationalpark
Location: Several location, see text
Availability: all year
Minimum Duration: See text
Maximum Duration: 12 Months (depending on visa)
Required Language Skills: English or Japanese- see text
Accommodation: See text
Supervision possible: Yes
Qualification supervisor: Biologists, tourism professionals
Minimum qualification of intern: none
Further contribution to the project: No
Volunteering possible: Yes
Required qualification of interns: none
Further contribution to the project: No
It is expected:
Professional work, the "right" attitude
I. World Unite! Service Package
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Arrangement of your Placement
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- (If required) arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application, but not the official government fees for the visa (if they apply, see details above)
- Support with Residence Registration, Mobile phone contract, opening a bank account (if needed and possible, depending on visa category)
- Pick-up and Transfers on arrival from Haneda or Narita airport or next international airport
- Personal support staff in Tokyo (English and Japanese speaking) and at our international office
- Local orientation about life in Tokyo
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (please refer to the project description for details)
- Travel to/from Japan (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
II. Accommodation Costs
Overview of other costs:
- Self-catering from around 200 EUR/USD per month (estimate)
- Small local expenses (Mobile phone contract, Local Transport): ca. 90-100 EUR/USD per Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 EUR/USD per Month