Primary Schools in Tamra
The "Al-Sharef" primary school is attended by 395 students (226 boys and 166 girls) who are split into 15 classes. At the "Al-Razi" primary school there are around 450 students.
Nowaideia - after school care for children from problem families
Al-Bayan Middle and High School
Location: Tamra/Galilee, Israel
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Arabic
Room in apartment with family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Educators, Teachers
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Report by Natalie
During the six weeks in Tamra, I stayed in the lovely house of Khaled and Aisha Khatib. They treated us like we were their own childeren. Thanks to their special care, I had an awesome and very interesting internship in Tamra. Khaled and Aisha openend our eyes in many ways. They encouraged us to talk to the people in Tamra, to go the beach, to Jerusalem… They really wanted for us to have a meaningful internship and they wanted us to see all the sides of Israël.
The people in Tamra were very kind. When we walked in the streets, they always asked us a lot of questions, because they were curious. They also invited us many times to their houses to drink some coffee. The people in Tamra were so friendly!
I have spend a lot of hours in the Al Mutanabbi school. This is the school where I completed my internship, together with Joachim and Gerlinde. On Sundays, we taught English to the pupils from grade seven, eight and nine. During the other days of the week, we arranged some workshops to help the pupils to improve their English. We had such a great time in the Al Mutanabbi school. The pupils and the teachers were extremely friendly! It was a very nice experience to compare the way teachers teach in Israel to the way we teach in Belgium. I have learned a lot from this internschip in this school. It made me become a better teacher.
Aisha also gave us the opportunity to help her with her clay courses. She gives two times in a week clay courses to people who are disabbled. This was also a interesting experience, because it gave me an idea of how the people in Israel deal with people who are dissabled. It was so nice to see how sweet these boys are. They loved the fact that Aisha made things in clay with them. I had so much fun during these clay courses!
My internship in Tamra was beyond awesome! Thanks to the lovely caring of Aisha and Khaled! I would recommand everybody to come to Tamra. It really opens your eyes and it makes you become a more humble person, with both feet on the ground.
P.S. Natalie, Joachim and Gerlinde are students from Artevelde University College, Belgium that regularly sends students for teaching internships. We thank Artevelde University College for their cooperation with World Unite!
Accommodation in Tamra
Shared Accommodation in Tamra:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|700 EUR||800 EUR||900 EUR||1000 EUR||1100 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR||850 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Information about and Assistance with the Arrangement of your Visa (if required), but not the official government fees for it (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Akko or Haifa train station on arrival and departure (you can easily reach these train stations from Tel Aviv Airport)
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Tamra/Haifa
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 30 Shekel air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Israel (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, if applicable (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in Shekel! |
Room at shared house
|75 Shekel/Day||2000 Shekel/Month*|
|2 Persons p.p.
|70 Shekel/Day||1850 Shekel/Month*|
Room at Halls of Residence
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- For most nationals no visa costs for a stay of up to 180 days. In case of stay of 181 or more days, first 3 months 680 Shekel, then 190 Shekel for any 3 months' extension (subject to change). Long-term visa costs include health insurance.
- Meals around 150-200 EUR (180-250 USD)/Month (estimate)
- Small local expenses (e.g. local transport): around 30-60 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Tamra
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This fear is largely baseless. Around 2 million tourists visit the country every year. Tourists have never been the target of violence and security arrangements in the country are so high, that it is almost impossible that you as a tourist find yourself in a critical situation.
The problematic area is limited geographically to the Gaza Strip. We would not advise you to visit Gaza. This area is anyway cordoned off by security so it is highly unlikely that you find yourself there. The same applies to any places where even a remote conflict could arise. These are preventively shut off, especially around the Old City of Jerusalem. For a day trip to Jerusalem, you should find out in advance whether a visit to the old town is possible. Our local coordinators follow the news daily and you can ask them.
The safety precautions in the country are enormous. At the stations or the main terminal of the buses, there are security checks like at airports, and the checks in the airport of Tel Aviv are more complex than usual.
After the confirmation of your project, if there should be any political instability or security issues, we will refund all your money and advise you against visiting.