How can we as a provider of travel that includes volunteering options try to reach sustainability?
1. Qualification of the participants
2. Local Involvement
Jambiani Beach & Watersports Festival - Since 2015 we have been sponsoring the annual festival of Jambiani in the East of Zanzibar. The non-profit festival has the aim to promote local culture and sports. There are competitions at the beach of Jambiani in traditional Zanzibarian sports and international sports, just as music and local food. NGOs of the island are given a platform to provide workshops for the local population about topics such as HIV Awareness and coastal conservation. Our World Unite! volunteers are helping with the preparation and implementation of the festival and we fund transfers and accommodation for them during the days of the festival.
Turtle Release Day - Since 2013 we have been sponsoring the annual turtle release day of Nungwi, where marine turtles that have been rescued by the turtle sanctuary are released into the ocean. The large celebration at the beach of Nungwi also has the aim to communicate the need the coastal population about coastal conservation and endangered species. We have a close partnership with the Nungwi turlte sanctuary
HEM Orphanage in Karatu/Tanzania - we are paying the monthly salary of the matron who is running the centre which is home to 24 vulnerable children
Go for Zanzibar e.V. - since 2009 we have been cooperating with the non-profit society from Tübingen/Germany that is funding several charitable projects in Zanzibar, by providing local logistics
Social Reality Tour Zanzibar - with the NGO "ZASO" (Zanzibar Aids Association & Support of Orphans) we have developed a tour where everyone interested can join a social worker and get insights into the living realities of disadvantaged groups of the population. The tour was meticulously developed taking into consideration ethical criteria. The revenue generated through the tour finances the social outreach program of the NGO.
Social Reality Tour Moshi - we have developed a similar tour in Moshi/Kilimanjaro with the NGOs "MANO" and "Good Hope", financially supporting the NGO's social outreach programs
Product display of "Good Hope" products at Aroma Coffee Shop in Moshi - we are stocking a sales window at a tourist café with products made by a women's group and are completely delivering the revenue to the women
Accepting donations and following up - We regularly get inquiries of individuals who want to donate directly to a local project. Those individuals often are not sure how much of the money they donate to organizations that are actively doing fundraising will reach the local project (most organizations spend 40-50% on administration and marketing). We forward such donations completely (100%) to the projects and we also further assist with local logistics, for instance buying local goods (e.g. bunk beds for orphanage; construction of a chicken and pig farm, ...)
- Labdoo – Cooperation with Labdoo e.V. for computer education in Zanzibar, Tanzania and India
- Pack for a Purpose – Cooperation with local logistics in Israel, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Morocco
- Zanzibar Outreach Program (ZOP) – free of charge, we are regularly bringing medical professionals to the medical outreach camps of ZOP, which are done once per week on the islands of Unguja and Pemba
- Uzi Island Ecotourism – Operations of the website http://zanzibar-ecotourism.org and answering inquiries/bookings for ecotourism tours done by a local initiative on Uzi Island/Zanzibar
- Literacy India – Every participant for Literacy India funds the school education of a child for one year
- Watoto Day/Urafiki Cup Moshi - Once per year we sponsor and logistically support Watato Day, a large festival for children, where children supported by various centres for street children and orphans meet and present an entertainment program including music, dance, game and theater, and compete in a football tournament (Urafiki Cup). This day resulted from the initiative of our volunteer Olaf Butterbrod.
3. Selection and design of the programs
4. Financial participation of the charitable organizations
Information: Since October 2015, World Unite! is a founding member of an interest group of several providers of flexible volunteer work from the German-speaking countries, which has the aim to increase the quality and the sustainability of flexible volunteer work, and whose members want to oblige themselves to follow certain minimum standards.