Marine Turtle Conservation
Five of the world's seven species of sea turtles can be found in Tanzania. The two species of Hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) and Leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) are critically endangered, and the three species of Green turtle (Chelonia mydas), Loggerhead Sea turtle (Caretta caretta) and Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea) are classified as endangered. Sea turtles have a long life and it takes them long to reach adulthood. This makes them particularly vulnerable to human intervention during all phases of their life.
At the sanctuary, in a large natural lagoon sea turtles are kept, which were rescued with injuries, medically treated, and released into the ocean again. Also turtle eggs are collected from beaches where due to human pressure, their survival is at risk. The eggs are incubated inside the protected area of the sanctuary and the baby turtles are kept in pools and released into the ocean once they reach a certain size.
Video about the marine turtle sanctuary by our participant Daniel:
"Trash to Treasures" creative recycling/upcycling project
Your arrival to join this project should be on a WEDNESDAY between 4am and 11pm. The project induction will then be for a small group on the following Thursday. You can also arrive on any other day, but in this case we would charge an extra of 60 EUR for additional effort and transportation costs.
Location: Nungwi, Zanzibar
Availability: All year, arrival EVERY WEDNESDAY (see details above)
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Minimum age: 16 years
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: German, Italian, and other languages
Accommodation: Complete boarding at Bungalow at the Conservation Station or further houses at the village
Supervision Possible: No
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
No formal qualification required
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Video "Turtle Measurement Day" made by our participant André
This is another video, presenting the marine turtle sanctuary:
Comments of participants
Picture Galeries and Reports on Facebook and on our blog:
Accommodation in Nungwi
World Unite! Mother Nature Zanzibar Program
Every additional week at the Jozani Forest location: +170 EUR / +210 USD
Extra: Single room supplement at the Turtle Bungalow (instead of sharing twin room): + 175 EUR/215 USD per week.
In case of 2-4 people who book and travel together: 50 EUR/60 USD discount per person. Groups of 5 or more: Contact us for group rates.
The rates include:
- Our own full-time World Unite! employees running all program activities
- Accommodation on full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner), as booked (at the Turtle Bungalow in Nungwi sharing a twin room [single room available at single room supplement]; at the Jozani Forest Camp, in a fully furnished 6-person tent (sharing) or, if desired, with a host family in the village of Muungoni/Kitogani)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure to/from Nungwi/Muungoni
- Shuttle between the two project locations every Wednesday
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Once per week half-day cultural activity in Muungoni Village
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Use of a Mountain Bike
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (Mobile-friendly knowledge base incl. Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangement of your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (as required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro for the CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
Overview of other costs:
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Volunteer Visa 50 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Zanzibar
Several airlines fly directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.