Marine Turtle Conservation
Five of the world's seven species of sea turtles can be found in Tanzania. The two species of Hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) and Leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) are critically endangered, and the three species of Green turtle (Chelonia mydas), Loggerhead Sea turtle (Caretta caretta) and Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea) are classified as endangered. Sea turtles have a long life and it takes them long to reach adulthood. This makes them particularly vulnerable to human intervention during all phases of their life.
At the sanctuary, in a large natural lagoon and several smaller pools, sea turtles are raised. The turtles are either rescued with injuries or hatched from eggs which have been collected from beaches, where due to human pressure, their survival is at risk. The eggs are incubated inside the protected area of the sanctuary and the young turtles are hatched and released to the open sea once they reach a certain size.
Video about the marine turtle sanctuary by our participant Daniel:
"Trash to Treasures" creative recycling/upcycling project
Your arrival to join this project should be on a WEDNESDAY between 4am and 11pm. The project induction will then be for a small group on the following Thursday. You can also arrive on any other day, but in this case we would charge an extra of 60 EUR for additional effort and transportation costs.
Location: Nungwi, Zanzibar
Availability: All year, arrival EVERY WEDNESDAY (see details above)
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: German, Italian, and other languages
Accommodation: Complete boarding at Bungalow at the Conservation Station or further houses at the village
Supervision Possible: No
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
No formal qualification required
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Video "Turtle Measurement Day" made by our participant André
This is another video, presenting the marine turtle sanctuary:
Comments of participants
Picture Galeries and Reports on Facebook and on our blog:
Accommodation in Nungwi
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangement of your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure to/from Nungwi/Muungoni
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
- Our own World Unite! full-time program instructors
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Once per week half-day cultural activity in Muungoni Village
- In Jozani/Muungoni: Use of a Mountain Bike
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, Residence Permit, Work Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar! |
Bungalow at Marine Turtle Sanctuary on Full Board*
|Bed at twin room
|Single room||40 EUR/Night|
|In Jozani / Muungoni
World Unite! Forest Camp (6-share dorm tent) or Host Family of Simple Standard
(single or twin room) on Full Board*
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 130-220 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-180 days: twice the costs as in case of up to 90 days
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Zanzibar
Several airlines fly directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.