Electives and Internships
Mnazi Mmoja is the main hospital on the archipelago of Zanzibar. It is located at the Mnazi Mmoja area just outside Stone Town, the historic centre of Zanzibar Town.
At Mnazi Mmoja, clinical elective students can choose between the following wards: Paediatrics (there are two wards, one for children from 0-3 years old and one from 3-12 years old), Gynaecology, Internal Medicine (Gastrology, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Nephrology), Surgery, Dermatology, Dental, Intensive Care Unit, HIV-Ward, Leprosy Ward (those interested in the leprosy ward need proof of vaccination against tuberculosis), Neurosurgery, Radiology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Acupuncture, Emergency Services, Physio and Occupational Therapy. For students of pharmaceutics, it is also possible to do a clinical elective in the hospital's pharmacy.
The hospital employs 16 specialist physicians, 10 general practitioners, 20 assistant physicians and 30 clinical officers (which is a term used in East Africa for qualified and licensed medical personnel that carry out general medical tasks such as diagnosis and treatment of diseases and injuries, instruction and evaluation of medical screenings, carrying out small standard surgery, and referral of patients to specialists).
Mnazi Mmoja, Mental Hospital and Mwembeladu Maternity Hospital have a total capacity of 510 beds; out of which 64 beds are in the Internal Medicine ward.
The department of occupational therapy has a focus on (but is not limited to) children who have neurological disorders.
Mnazi Mmoja has been running a successful elective program for foreign students for many years.
The reason for the existence of this ward is the strong connection between the People's Republic of China and Zanzibar which started in the times when Zanzibar was still a socialist country. The acupunture department was started by the Chinese government and still today a Chinese acupuncture specialist is permanently present. Several Tanzanians have been trained in acupuncture and are working at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital.
Placements are possible for participants who want to learn about acupuncture as well as for specialists for whom the application of acupuncture in Africa will certainly also be a new experience.
The Mwembeladu Maternity Hospital located in the Mwembeladu area of Zanzibar Town, about 15 minutes by public transport (Daladala) from Mnazi Mmoja. The clinic specializes in maternity and childbirth.
The hospital has a prenatal (ante-natal) station and a maternity unit, including post-natal care. The prenatal unit includes pregnancy counselling, advice on family planning and HIV testing, apart from ultrasonic and preventative medical check-ups. The maternity unit consists of examination rooms, recovery rooms and a brand new surgery/operating theatre which is fully equipped with modern medical supplies, but which has not yet been officially opened. For this reason, pregnancy-related surgery is currently carried out at Zanzibar's main hospital, the "Mnazi Mmoja". The in-patient care after obstetric surgery, however, takes place at Mwembeladu.
In the quarter April - June 2010, 1390 women had been admitted to Mwembeladu hospital and 1398 deliveries have been registered, out of which 1339 took place without any complications. 704 newborns were female, 679 male. There were 23 multiple births. 102 mothers were over 35 years old, 35 under 20 years. 91 newborns weighed less than 2.5 kg. 3 of 85 tested mothers were HIV-positive; the newborns of these women were HIV-positive, too.
The minimum working hours at Mnazi Mmoja and Mwembeladu Hospital for elective students are Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m., but they can also stay in the afternoons. Every Thursday at 7:30 p.m., there is a meeting between the elective student and his/her supervising physician.
Electives at Mnazi Mmoja and Mwembeladu should be fully accredited by all international medical colleges and universities. Electives can be started at any day of the week (Mon-Fri).
For students, there is an official weekly fee which has to be paid at all government hospitals. Please see details about the costs below. All government hospitals, including Mnazi Mmoja and the hospitals on the island of Pemba (Hospital of Wete, Hospital of Chake Chake and Abdallah Mzee Hospital Mkoani) have been set up by socialist countries during the time when Tanzania was still a socialist nation. Medical exchange programs between Tanzania and these countries still continue and there are regularly foreign physicians from countries such as Cuba, China, Russia and Sweden.
Professional medical volunteers
All hospitals and organisations are explicitly looking for experienced volunteer physicians such as retired specialists, or physicians who are looking for new challenges in a developing country. There is a particular need for surgeons, cardiologists, gynaecologists (only female doctors), diabetes specialists, radiologists, pediatricians, orthopaedists, general physicians, nurses and laboratory technicians.
Professionals with experience will be excluded from official fees if they commit for a minimum of 12 months. Foreign professional volunteers who want to work on their own (not under the supervision of a local physician), however, in all cases require registration from the Zanzibar Health Ministry. Registration from the Health Ministry involves high bureaucratic efforts that we will do for professionals as part of the service package before they arrive in Zanzibar. Additional costs for official certificates and accreditation may apply. For professionals who only come to visit Zanzibar for a couple of days (for instance to train medical staff in Zanzibar or to assist at medical screenings), these formalities will however not be necessary. Another possibility for professionals is to register as "elective students" which will reduce the amount of bureaucracy; but in that case the weekly fees for elective students will apply.
Medical Centre of SOS Children's Village
Location: Stone Town, Zanzibar
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Swahili
House, Host Family; SOS Children's Village offers on-campus accommodation of high standard for 300 usd per month (in case of double occupancy 150 usd/person per month)
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Specialist Doctors, General Practitioners, Nurses, Therapists
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Studying or working in relevant field
Further Contribution To Project: Public Hospitals: Yes, 2016: 75 USD per week; 2017: 100 USD per week contribution to hospital; SOS: 200 USD one-time fee
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Professional Specialist in Medicine, Nursing, Therapy
Further Contribution To Project: None
Minimum 12 months duration (with exceptions - see text), SOS: minimum 1 week; Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation in Zanzibar Town
Most popular! - This is the preference of most of our participants. You share an apartment with other participants or live in a house of average standards with a host family.
Comfort+ - For those with a need for comfort: Accommodation at a hotel or at a house of higher standards with host family.
Adventurer - For simplest and cheapest deals: Homestays of simple standards.
Here are some examples of shared accommodation options:
Hotel Accommodation and Accommodation of High Standards with Host Family:
Host Family of simple standards
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype; together with further participants
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit, Work Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport (ZNZ) on arrival and departure
- Pick-up and Transfers within Dar-es-Salaam (DAR) (if required) and assistance with connecting travel via ferry or flight from DAR to ZNZ (but not flight/ferry tickets) and back
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Zanzibar
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Participation at "Social Reality Tour" and 10 USD Donation to social outreach program
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 10.000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania"
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in US-Dollar. |
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House/Apartment or Hotel|
|9 USD/Day||250 USD/Month
|2 Persons p.p.
|6 USD/Day||150 USD/Month|
Hotel Accommodation "Al Minar" incl. Breakfast
(min. 7 Nights)
|2 Persons p.p.
(min. 7 Nights)
Host Family of middle standard on full board
|18 USD/Day||540 USD/Month|
|2 Persons p.p.
|18 USD/Day||540 USD/Month
Host family of upper standard on full board
|24 USD/Day||690 USD/Month|
|2 Personen p.p.
|24 USD/Day||690 USD/Month|
Host family of simple standard on full board
|12 USD/Day||350 USD/Month|
|2 Personen p.p.
|12 USD/Day||350 USD/Month|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 130-220 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Official Permits: For placement duration of up to 90 days in Zanzibar: Visa 250 USD (for most nationals; to buy on arrival at the airport in Tanzania) + Work Permit 200 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office); For placement of 91-365 days: Visa 50 (for EU Citizens, Australians, New Zealand Citizens; 100 USD for US and Canadian Citizens) + Residence Permit 550 USD (in case of government institutions: 250 USD; we arrange through Zanzibar Immigration Office) + Work Permit 300 USD (we arrange through Zanzibar Labour Office).
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Day Trips, Watersports
Learning Swahili in Sansibar!
Travel Health Insurance
Check out our video on Zanzibar Town!
Zanzibar - Spice Island in the Indian Ocean
Our coordinators in Zanzibar
Things to do in Zanzibar
Getting To Zanzibar
Some airlines fly from Germany, Austria and Switzerland directly or with an intermediate stop at Zanzibar (ZNZ). Remember to book your flight and share with us your flight details. From Zanzibar airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Zanzibar.