Clinical electives, internships and final year rotations are possible. with a minimum duration of 3 weeks. Students should send us their CV/resume in Spanish, a letter of recommendation from their university's dean, pro-dean or professor on the university's letter head with signature, and a letter of motivation which describes in detail what the student wishes to learn during his or her elective/internship/final year rotation.
Private hospital AMOCSA
At the moment, AMOCSA León is in a process of transformation, as step by step the old buildings are being demolished and replaced by new ones. Two new buildings have already been completed; another one is currently under construction. In total, there are 4 buildings of AMOCSA located in one street in the city centre of León.
In León the hospital has 170 employees. Particularly in the afternoon, the outpatient's department is very busy, as the private health care insurances require the hospitals not to have any patients waiting for more than 2 hours.
AMOCSA has contracts with the social security of Nicaragua so that the staff of companies that insure their employees and employees' family members through the National social security are treated at AMOCSA. This contributes to a total client base of around 60,000 people. Furthermore, AMOCSA specialises in work health. Health checks are carried out for individuals seeking new employment, and those needing recurring health checkups, as well as special tests including hearing tests and eyesight tests. AMOCSA also performs test of health conditions at work places, for instance measuring levels of noise.
Location: León, Nicaragua
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 3 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: Intermediate Spanish
Room with Host Family, Shared Accommodation
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: General Physician, Specialist, Nurse
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies or experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Relevant experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation in León
Host Family and Shared Accommodation:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|300 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|250 EUR||400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Assistance with visa extension in Nicaragua or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Managua International Airport (MGA) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in León
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 250 C$ air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Nicaragua (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All Rates in US-Dollar! |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|WG / Gastfamilie|
Room with host family
|2 Persons p.p.
|6.50 USD/Day||100 USD/Month|
|Optional: Meals||per person||Breakfast: 2.50 USD, Lunch 3.50 USD, Dinner 3.50 USD||Breakfast: 2.50 USD, Lunch 3.50 USD, Dinner 3.50 USD|
|Optional: WiFi Internet||1 USD/Day||20 USD/Month|
|Optional: Use of kitchen (incl. cooking gas)||1 USD/Day||20 USD/Month|
Hotel incl. Breakfast
|2 Persons p.p.
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- Visa 10 USD on arrival at the airport for most nationals for a maximum of 90 days. Any extra month 20 USD. If you stay for more than 180 days, you need to leave Nicaragua and go to Costa Rica. When returning to Nicaragua, you get an additional 90 days for 10 USD.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month