Location: Akumal, Mexico
Availability: May to September
Minimum Duration: 1 month
Maximum Duration: 5 months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Spanish
Accommodation: Dormitory of the turtles station
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Marine Biologist
Minimum Quoaification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: Is included in our service package fee. Also the rent for accommodation funds the project
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: The rent for accommodation funds the project
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
- World Unite! Service-Package single participant 700 EUR, regardless of length of stay. This includes a contribution to the project of 276 USD.
- Rent USD 450 per month for accommodation in the dormitory of the turtles station without food. There is a kitchen for you to use. This amount is mainly used to finance the work of the CEA. There is wifi internet.
- Personal consultation and preparation before your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online members area with intercultural preparation (PDFs, videos)
- Airport transfers from/to CANCUN Airport for arrival/departure
- Writing confirmations/certificates for your college, scholarship, child support, insurance, etc., as well as filling/signing of internship contracts
- Arrival and departure to/from Cancun (you book them yourself, we give you advice. Fares are often low with holiday airlines)
- Official Fees for Visa and Residence Permit (see below)
- Insurance (travel insurance, liability insurance, trip cancellation insurance) - you book yourself, we give advice.
- Personal Expenses
Breathtaking protected areas such as the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, more than 7,000 cenots (limestone sinkholes with freshwater) that can only be found here, various old Maya sites such as Coba, Tulum and Chichen Itza, small Caribbean islands with gorgeous beaches, or the excellent diving conditions along the Mesoamerican reef, which is the world’s second largest coral reef, make the Riviera Maya one of the most diversified and popular travel destinations in the world.
Akumal is a rather quiet place. As throughout the Caribbean coast of Mexico, you will find white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters that invite you to do snorkeling or diving. There are several traditional restaurants mainly serving freshly caught seafood and fish. Due to its convenient location and good infrastructure, you can easily and inexpensively reach all cities, sites and activities of the Riviera Maya by public transport or private bus operators. The city of Cancun (>550,000 inhabitants) has many bars and night clubs. Playa del Carmen (>100,000 inhabitants) is somehow more quiet, but also has a trendy party scene.
Mexicans are typically very proud people who enjoy their life to the full. This is expressed in the country’s colorful culture: Traditional music, dance, poetry, painting and dishes play an important part in Mexican life.
Mexico is a generally well developed country with a stable government. Of course, like in entire Latin America, there are parts of the country, which are underdeveloped and suffering from poverty. Mexico is considered a safe tourist destination. Only the border region to the US in the north and few parts of Mexico City should be avoided. The areas where we offer internships and volunteer options can be traveled to without any particular precautions, even by single female travelers.
Official language in Mexico is Spanish, but English is also widely spoken, particularly in the more developed tourist regions of the Caribbean Coast. Several indigenous languages exist in some rather secluded regions.
Numerous airlines connect Europe, North America and Asia with the airports of Mexico City and Cancun, some even with direct flights.