Beyt al Nur und MAAAS
The third residential home accommodates 16 women in 9 rooms. These women need more support and day caree. Additionally, it is the concept that women of different degrees of disabilities stay together, providing support to each other and taking different responsibilities in the daily common duties.
Some of the women are Christians, others are Muslims, some go to Church and others to mosque, but basically they live together without any interference based on different religious backgrounds.
One will notice, that the disabled are amazingly well integrated in the community of the town of Tamra. To respect the disabled people, their accommodation is just named "Tamra Hostel" and the buildings are part of a regular residential neighbourhood. The women fully participate in the town’s social life and many local volunteers regularly support the centres.
Many of the women go swimming on a regular basis and take part in competitions for disabled people. The swimming team of Tamra is the most successful team of disabled swimmers in the whole of Israel.
Interns and volunteers can take part in attending the women with their daily tasks (experience in nutrition and use of medicines is appreciated), occupational therapy (with MAAAS), psychology (there is a psychologist coming weekly to the houses) and social work.
Location: Tamra/Galilee, Israel
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Arabic
Room in apartment with family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Special Educator, Occupational Therapist, Psychologist, Social Worker
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Tamra
Shared Accommodation in Tamra:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|700 EUR||800 EUR||900 EUR||1000 EUR||1100 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR||850 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Information about and Assistance with the Arrangement of your Visa (if required), but not the official government fees for it (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Akko or Haifa train station on arrival and departure (you can easily reach these train stations from Tel Aviv Airport)
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Tamra/Haifa
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 30 Shekel air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Israel (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, if applicable (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in Shekel! |
Room at shared house
|75 Shekel/Day||2000 Shekel/Month*|
|2 Persons p.p.
|70 Shekel/Day||1850 Shekel/Month*|
Room at Halls of Residence
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- For most nationals no visa costs for a stay of up to 180 days. In case of stay of 181 or more days, first 3 months 680 Shekel, then 190 Shekel for any 3 months' extension (subject to change). Long-term visa costs include health insurance.
- Meals around 150-200 EUR (180-250 USD)/Month (estimate)
- Small local expenses (e.g. local transport): around 30-60 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Tamra
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This fear is largely baseless. Around 2 million tourists visit the country every year. Tourists have never been the target of violence and security arrangements in the country are so high, that it is almost impossible that you as a tourist find yourself in a critical situation.
The problematic area is limited geographically to the Gaza Strip. We would not advise you to visit Gaza. This area is anyway cordoned off by security so it is highly unlikely that you find yourself there. The same applies to any places where even a remote conflict could arise. These are preventively shut off, especially around the Old City of Jerusalem. For a day trip to Jerusalem, you should find out in advance whether a visit to the old town is possible. Our local coordinators follow the news daily and you can ask them.
The safety precautions in the country are enormous. At the stations or the main terminal of the buses, there are security checks like at airports, and the checks in the airport of Tel Aviv are more complex than usual.
After the confirmation of your project, if there should be any political instability or security issues, we will refund all your money and advise you against visiting.