For the "Children and Young People", the Community Centre offers activities for children aged 5-15 years that include music lessons, drama, sports, travel & tours, Ballet and "Dapka", the traditional Arab dance of the region.
For the 15-18 year olds, there are both cultural and sports activities and programs for "Youth Leadership", where they get professional training and education on critical issues such as drugs and HIV, as well as acceptance of social responsibility. For this age group, the center also operates a beginner's job market.
The center is open daily from 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. and from 3.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.; Fridays and Sundays only from 8.00 a.m. – 2.00 p.m.
Every year throughout the month of July (Ramadan) there is a "Summer Camp" in a park outside the city, attended by around 400 kids from age 5; they attend the camp during the day and go back home at night. Activities are alternated between a day at the camp, followed by a day trip, such as a trip to the zoo or a water park.
Volunteers who can act as course directors for children in niche areas like any form of music, culture, dance or sports are much needed. If you want to plan your course 2-3 months before you begin your stay, it is possible to include your course in the program and find enough participants . Here you will spend about 5-6 hours per week teaching in your field, while the other hours you can help with existing courses and/or organizational tasks of the Centre. A combination of projects with other similar Organizations in Tamra can also be arranged.
The Center is closed during Ramadan.
Location: Tamra/Galilee, Israel
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 2 Weeks
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
Further Languages Of Advantage: Arabic
Supervision Possible: No
Qualification Of Supervisor: -
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: None
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in Tamra
Shared Accommodation in Tamra:
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|350 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|300 EUR||400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Information about and Assistance with the Arrangement of your Visa (if required), but not the official government fees for it (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Akko or Haifa train station on arrival and departure (you can easily reach these train stations from Tel Aviv Airport)
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Tamra/Haifa
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 30 Shekel air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Israel (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa, if applicable (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| All rates in Shekel! |
Room at shared house
|75 Shekel/Day||2000 Shekel/Month*|
|2 Persons p.p.
|70 Shekel/Day||1850 Shekel/Month*|
Room at Halls of Residence
|2 Persons p.p.
Overview of other costs:
- For most nationals no visa costs for a stay of up to 180 days. In case of stay of 181 or more days, first 3 months 680 Shekel, then 190 Shekel for any 3 months' extension (subject to change). Long-term visa costs include health insurance.
- Meals around 150-200 EUR (180-250 USD)/Month (estimate)
- Small local expenses (e.g. local transport): around 30-60 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Travel Health Insurance
Getting To Tamra
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This fear is largely baseless. Around 2 million tourists visit the country every year. Tourists have never been the target of violence and security arrangements in the country are so high, that it is almost impossible that you as a tourist find yourself in a critical situation.
The problematic area is limited geographically to the Gaza Strip. We would not advise you to visit Gaza. This area is anyway cordoned off by security so it is highly unlikely that you find yourself there. The same applies to any places where even a remote conflict could arise. These are preventively shut off, especially around the Old City of Jerusalem. For a day trip to Jerusalem, you should find out in advance whether a visit to the old town is possible. Our local coordinators follow the news daily and you can ask them.
The safety precautions in the country are enormous. At the stations or the main terminal of the buses, there are security checks like at airports, and the checks in the airport of Tel Aviv are more complex than usual.
After the confirmation of your project, if there should be any political instability or security issues, we will refund all your money and advise you against visiting.