Dr. Shruti Goenka Memorial Hospital
Location: Palampur (Himachal Pradesh, India)
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Month/div>
Maximum Duration: 6 Months
Language Requirements: English
Guest House in Palampur
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: General Physician, Specialist
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies; for Dr. Shruti in 4th/ final year
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: No
Required Qualification For Volunteer: -
Further Contribution To Project: -
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation at the Himalayas
Guest House in Palampur
Kayakalp Spa and Therapy Centre in Palampur
Interns of Physiotherapy and Ayurveda at Kayakalp can stay at Kayakal's Basera dorm rooms for 650 Rs/night incl. full board and Yoga.
Chrysalid Outdoor Learning Centre
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|350 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||800 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|300 EUR||400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and assistance with local registration (if required) but not the official government fees for the visa (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Dharamshala Airport (DHM; for placements in Palampur) or Shimla (see tab "Getting there" for travel information to Shimla) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Palampur/at your location
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- Local SIM Card with 600 Rs. airtime credit
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
- Donation of 50 USD (in domestic currency) to your placement organization (in case of charitable organizations)
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from India (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
|Rates in Indian Rupees or USD! Convert Currency||Short-time stay|
(You pay proportionally per day)
Guest House in Palampur without meals
|800 Rs/Day||24,000 Rs/Month|
|2 Persons p.p.
|400 Rs/Day||12,000 Rs/Month|
Kayakalp Centre Palampur, Niket Deluxe Room on Full Board incl. Yoga
3000 Rs/Day (March-Okc)
1500 Rs/Day (Nov-Feb)
90,000 Rs/Month (March-Oct)
45,000 Rs/Month (Nov-Feb)
|2 Persons p.p.
1500 Rs/Day (March-Oct)
750 Rs/Day (Nov-Feb)
45,000 Rs/Month (March-Oct)
22,500 Rs/Month (Nov-Feb)
Chrysalid Camp Shimla or Dharamshala on Full Board
|210 USD/Week||900 USD/Month + 3.9 % Service Tax|
|2 Persons p.p.
|210 USD/Week||750 USD/Month + 3.9 % Service Tax|
Overview of other costs:
- Visa around 60-130 EUR (75-160 USD) depending on activity and duration; to apply prior to your travel
- If meals are not included: 40-100 EUR (50-130 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Small local expenses (Internet, Local Transport): ca. 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 20-40 EUR (30-50 USD)/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Travel Health Insurance
Photo Gallery: Himalayas
Maheshu (Shimla), Palampur, Dharamshala
In Rishikesh, there are a number of temples and ashrams (religious hostels), both historical and built in recent times. The city attracts thousands of pilgrims and tourists, both from India, as well as from western countries. It is home to several yoga centers, in keeping with an age old tradition. Rishikesh therefore, has the reputation of being the "yoga capital" of the world. Hindus believe that meditation in Rishikesh, as well as a dip in the holy river Ganges, leads them closer to salvation (Moksha).
Our Coordinator in the Himalayas
Our coordinator in Maheshu, Dharamshala and Rishikesh is Vikas and his team from the Chrysalid Oudoor Camps. In Palampur, we work with Atul, a guide.