Cape Coast Central Regional Hospital
District Hospital Cape Coast
University Hospital Cape Coast
Volunteering for nurses, midwives and doctors up to a period of 3 months at this hospital is possible WITHOUT approval of the respective Councils, because the hospital is not under the Ministry of Health.
• Curative therapy
• Rehabilitation therapies (physiotherapy, speech therapy, social care and psychological counseling)
• First - aid measures at meetings and events
• Health promoting education on topics such as rest, diet, exercise and hygiene at universities, festivals and on TV and radio commercials.
• Internships and training of employees on customer service, time management, self- awareness training, communication, etc.
• Every Wednesday the staff holds a lecture for all employees on a current topic. Every Thursday from 8.00 a.m. – 9.00 a.m., all physicians go by all departments and discuss the cases. Every Saturday, a keep fit program for the employees is conducted, such as Football tournaments.
• There is a regular exchange program with other hospitals for employees and physicians (eg. Accra)
• They work closely with the Department of Environmental Health, which expands the team by another 300 employees
• They have partner university programs with Yale and Liverpool
Location: Cape Coast, Ghana
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 1 Week
Maximum Duration: 12 Months
Language Requirements: English
House, Host Family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Specialist Doctors, General Practitioners, Nurses, Therapists
Minimum Qualification Of Intern: None
Further Contribution To Project: Yes, Central Regional Hospital: 250 USD per quartre or part of a quarter, University Hospital: 300 USD per quarter or part of a quarter, District Hospital: 200 USD one time
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification For Volunteer: Professional Medical Specialist, Nursing, Therapy
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Famulaturbericht Svenja, Magdalena und Helen, Cape Coast
Magdalena, Helen und Svenja
Background Information for Medical Placements/Electives Abroad
The standard of the departments/wards within one hospital can vary very much (both at Regional and Referral Hospitals), some departments might have good equipment and might be in good condition, typically resulting from money provided by foreign development programs. For instance the HIV/AIDS and physiotherapy wards at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital Zanzibar are very modern, but the pediatric ward is very poor and needs renovation. At Mawenzi Regional Hospital they have recently renovated the main surgery theatre.
The smallest facilities that provide medical first aid (Tertiary Level) are the so-called CHPS (Community Health Compounds), health centers and small hospitals. These facilities perform only outpatient treatment and are usually run by nurses. Each facility is aimed at a population density of about 20,000 people.
Professional volunteers (nurses, therapists and physicians) can volunteer at charitable hospitals which are funded by charitable organizations, but also at medical outreach programs run by several NGOs in slum areas.
The third stage in the Mongolian reference system are specialized clinics. There are no major hospitals in Mongolia, which have many specialisations, but instead clinics that are each limited to a field of study. These include hospitalization. For an elective or a nursing internship in these clinics, you should be at least in the 3rd year of study.
Accommodation in Cape Coast
Most popular! - This is the choice of most of our participants. You live in a shared apartment of average standards with other students, or with a host family.
Comfort+ - For those who place more emphasis on comfort: accommodation in a hotel or room with high standard with a host family
Adventurer - For simplest and cheapest deals: Dormitory Accommodation (only for certain projects)
Hotel-Accommodation and Room in Apartment of High Standards:
Dormitory accommodation ( only available for certain projects)
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and (if needed) assistance with extension of the visa in Ghana, but not the official government fees for it (See costs below)
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Accra (ACC) on arrival and departure
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in Cape Coast
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Ghana (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Rates in US-Dollar! |
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House or Hotel|
House shared with other participants
(min. 2 weeks)
|2 Persons p.p.
(min. 2 weeks)
Room in House of High Standard
(min. 1 week)
|2 Persons p.p.
(min. 1 week)
|Optional: Car Rental (not including fuel)||30 USD/Week||30 USD/Week|
Hotel Accommodation on Full Board
|30 USD/Day||750 USD/Week|
|2 Persons p.p.
|15 USD/Day||375 USD/Month|
Dorm Room Bed
(only available for Sankofa & Pathfinder)
|per person||6 USD/Day||150 USD/Month|
Host Family of Middle Standard
on Full Board
|10 USD/Day||250 USD/Month|
|2 Persons p.p.
|10 USD/Day||250 USD/Month
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- If meals are not included: around 80-140 USD/Month for self-catering (eating out at affordable yet good restaurants and/or cooking by yourself; you are much more flexible in this way compared to if we would serve food at your accommodation)
- Visa typically 100 EUR/110 USD for 30 days, which can be extended locally for around 10 EUR/13 USD per extra month (Visa needs to be applied for prior to your trip)
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month
How do I pay?
Other Projects That Might Interest You:
Travel Health Insurance
Our coordinators in Cape Coast
Getting To Ghana
You book your flight to Accra (Kokota International Airport Accra, ACC) and share with us your flight details. At the airport, we will pick you up and bring you to your accommodation in Cape Coast, Accra or Kakum.