The Ave Maria School of La Paz has been existing since 1964 and today counts 3800 students from pre-school (Pre-escolar) to primary school (Primario 1-5; primary 6-8) to Secondary level (Secundario 1-4). There are 100 teachers. The boarding school of Ave Maria accommodates around 300 children.
The school is run by German Catholic sisters and defines itself as a school for children from poorer classes of society. The current director is Sister Christina Gruber from Bavaria/Germany.
Volunteers and interns can teach German and English, handcrafts, vocational skills (carpentry, metalwork, electric work, tailoring, cooking, handcrafts), sports and ballet/dance.
The school participates at the trilingual program PASCH, teaching in Spanish, German and English. Interns/volunteers support the local teachers, particularly in pronunciation and conversation. Interns/volunteers will teach at several age levels, which makes for a full time work. There are around 40-50 students in each class.
The school has several teaching workshops where internships and volunteering options are possible in the subject areas of carpentry, metal work, electric work, tailoring, cooking and handcrafts. The school is currently trying to get accreditation for technical A-levels. Handcraft skills are taught from primary level with small project works using wood, fabrics and other materials.
Since 1994, the school runs a folkloristic ballet which is accompanied by the live music group NINA CHAQUIS. The ballet has won several prizes and has even travelled to Europe for presentations.
The former production hall of a match factory is being used as sports venue. There are several teams, particularly for basketball and volleyball.
Volunteers with relevant skills in ballet and sports can teach at the school.
Classes are held Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2.00 p.m. to 6.15 p.m. There are 3 weeks of holidays from end of June to July, and a further 2 weeks in November. The minimum duration is 3 months; basic Spanish skills are expected.
The school runs a farm in Achocalla, around 30 km outside the city, where volunteers can assist with the cultivation of vegetables, fruits, chicken farming, and making cheese. The food being produced at the farm is used to feed the 300 children staying at the boarding school. The farm is further used for celebrations and excursions.
Location: La Paz, Bolivia
Availability: All year, Start date flexible
Minimum Duration: 3 Months
Maximum Duration: 6 Months
Language Requirements: Basic Spanish
Shared Accommodation, Room with Host Family
Supervision Possible: Yes
Qualification Of Supervisor: Teacher
Minimum Qualification Of Intern:
Relevant studies or experience
Further Contribution To Project: None
Volunteering Possible: Yes
Required Qualification Of Volunteer: Experience in teaching
Further Contribution To Project: None
Professional Conduct, Do you have the "right" attitude?
Accommodation in La Paz
Shared Accommodation in La Paz
Host Families in La Paz
I. World Unite! Service Package
|up to 31 Days||32-60 Days||61-90 Days||91-120 Days||5 Months or longer|
|450 EUR||600 EUR||700 EUR||750 EUR||850 EUR|
(Rate per Person)
|400 EUR||500 EUR||600 EUR||650 EUR||700 EUR|
The World Unite! Service Package includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos)
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to La Paz/El Alto (LPB) on arrival and departure
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in Cochabamba or ViruViru
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office
- Orientation and Introduction in La Paz
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team
- 50 USD Contribution to your project
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university
The Rates do NOT include:
- Accommodation and Meals (see below)
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own; we can assist you)
- Official fees for Visa (see below)
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you book it on your own, we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses
- Local Transport (Estimated amounts see below)
- Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organizations charge further contributions. You find this information in the "Info Box" below the respective internship description.
II. Accommodation Costs
| Some Rates in EUR/US-Dollar.|
|Short-time stay |
(You pay proportionally per day)
|Shared House or Hostel|
House shared with other participants
|2 Persons p.p.
Host Family of Middle Standard
on Full Board
|15 USD/Day||300 USD/Month|
|2 Persons p.p.
|15 USD/Day||250 USD/Month|
In case of 3-4 person: Same rate as in case of 2 Persons. 5 or more persons: Contact us for group rates.
Overview of other costs:
- For most citizens except US Citizens, no Visa fee for a stay of a maximum of 90 days per calendar year. Any time you stay in excess of 90 days within a calendar year, 20 Bs. fee per day. US Citizens pay currentyl 135 USD Visa fee.
- If meals are not included: around 70-150 EUR /100-180 USD)/month
- Small local expenses (e.g. Internet, local transport): around 30-50 USD/Month (Estimate)
- Insurances around 30-50 USD/Month